19 - Some Idiot In Tights

Word count: 5,386 (you're. fucking. welcome.)

"I used to advertise my loyalty and I don't believe there is a single person I loved that I didn't eventually betray."

– Albert Camus

Recap: 

Seven lines were carved into the stonewall next to me, one for each year, apparently. The rest of the cell stank like pee and my cellmate was looking at me with an expression very similar to one I'd seen on Discovery Channel of a lion eyeing up its prey. I gulped.

Outside the cell, Finn paced impatiently, raking his long fingers through his strawberry-blonde hair. It didn't help that all he seemed to be able to mutter was obscenities. His brother had left ages ago, giving up on trying to get Finn to leave me, but being the sweet guy he was, Finn stayed glued to my cell bars. Finally, there was a loud buzz and a door next to Finn slid open with a screech. He didn't even flinch. I, on the other hand, cowered further into my stonewall, finding refuge in the jagged lines carved next to my ear.

"Annabelle Collins?" A scratchy voice asked. The man it belonged to didn't bother looking up from his clipboard as he stood outside my cell. Even my cellmate had stopped licking her lips at me to watch him in curiosity.

"Um, y-yeah?" I stuttered, trying to sound composed, but instead sounding like I was standing in the frozen tundra in nothing but a bathing suit. That's how badly my teeth were chattering.

"Someone's here for you."

"Who's here to see me?" I asked the bored-looking guard with the clipboard. Luckily, there was only one other inmate in my holding cell. Unfortunately, she looked like she was about to eat me.

Dresden and Finn had both gotten bailed out. Dresden hadn't been wrong about his mom being pissed off. In fact, she had dragged him out by the ear. I had never laughed so hard in my life. Needless to say, his mom shot me a glare, shook a finger at me, and left, threatening to tell my mother.

As for Finn, he got off lucky. Instead of his parents picking him up, it had been his older brother, Jason, who answered the phone. Jason drove down to bail out his brother and Finn's mom never even found out. Mine, however, had answered straight away, and unfortunately Terry wasn't there to cover for me, off on some stupid mission for President Xavier.

Now, Finn, my weird ass cellmate, and I stared at the guard expectantly. She kept muttering something about the whole seven scratches representing each year she'd been in jail, but I mean, it was a holding cell. Did she think I was that stupid?

"Who is it?" I asked again, trying to keep the tremble out of my voice.

"Some idiot in tights," the guard rolled his eyes, stepping aside to let in my visitor. Finn and I gasped simultaneously while my inmate smirked at my fear, giving me a look as if to say fresh meat. I half expected her to pull out a fork and a knife. For once, I didn't even notice the taunting way she licked her lips as I watched him step into the room.

One boot stepped over the threshold and then the other before he reclined against the doorframe and crossed his long, muscular legs out in front of him, obviously getting comfortable as he stared at me with his eyebrow raised challengingly. My eyes roamed up his body as I took in the skin-tight spandex that hugged his every groove. Black material strained against his biceps as he crossed his arms and tilted his chin at me. Everything about him screamed laid-back arrogance as he gave me an easy smile and winked.