21 - You're Like Eeyore On Heroine

DISCLAIMER: I do realise that not all neighbourhoods in Staten Island are rough neighbourhoods. Unfortunately, there are neighbourhoods like the one in this chapter in which fights like this break out. This does not mean I am discriminating or mocking Staten Island. Really, there are neighbourhoods like this all over the world, but considering this book takes place in NYC, it's fairly obvious I needed to choose something around the Manhattan area. Staten Island is one of the five burrows of NYC thus leading me to my decision. This is not meant to be offensive in any way, shape, or form. Thanks for understanding :)

"Elephants, it turns out, are surprisingly stealthy. As the sunlight fades, other species declare their presence. Throngs of zebras and wildebeests thunder by in the distance, trailing dust clouds. Cape buffalo snort and raise their horns and position themselves in front of their young. Giraffes stare over treetops, their huge brown eyes blinking, then lope away in seeming slow motion. But no elephants."

– Thomas French

Recap: 

Anger flashed across his face as he opened his mouth to say something, but I'd never figure out what because IH pressed two fingers to his ear, eyes drifting away from mine as he concentrated before snapping up again to meet my gaze and vanishing before my very eyes.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for!!! Drum roll please.....

The Invisible Hand's P.O.V. 

"Guys, I need back up. I'm in way over my head," Bat Boy said through gritted teeth, obliviously unaware that I was listening in. In the background came the sound of shattering glass and angry shouts as a man and woman yelled at each other, cussing out poor Bat Boy every time he desperately tried to defuse the situation and break up the fight. Frowning, I pressed two fingers to my ear to hear him better as I averted my gaze from Annie's curious face. She watched me like a hawk.

"What's going on? I'm getting nauseous," Electro's voice crackled to life as he switched on his ear chip.

"Sir, you need to put down the bottle–WOAH!" Bat Boy turned his attention back to us as he huffed, "he just threw a fucking bottle at me!" In the background I heard yelling and arguing as Bat Boy struggled to get control of the situation.

"I'm on my way," Gold chuckled before turning serious. "Now what's going on?"

"Lover's. Spat," Bat Boy panted, obviously trying to dodge another volley of beer bottles, "I'm not trained for this shit– sir, please put down the gun!"

Get out of here, asshole, this is between me and my wife!

EX-wife, Ray!

Shut up, whore. None of this would have happened if you hadn't slept with that dick downstairs.

"Uh, Ray, Miss Whore, why don't we all just sit down and talk about this civilly?"

"Bat Boy, stop winding them up," Gold shouted over the rush of wind. He was probably flying at the speed of light and he'd get there any minute. There was more arguing as Bat Boy told the two to back off.

Fuck you, I told you to fucking stay out of this! A loud CRACK reverberated throughout the ear chip, my head ringing as Bat Boy fell silent.

"Bat Boy?" Gold and Electro panicked and my eyes snapped up to meet Annie's penetrating gaze. I tried to send her an apologetic smile, but I don't think she saw it because too soon I was standing across the street from where Gold Thrush hovered outside a third-storey window, disappearing inside.