50

Ricky's pov

I ran out of Chris's house and through the woods, my wet feet sticking to the crumpled leaves. My mom was sitting on the front stairs smoking.
"We need to talk." She said seriously as she stood up and stomped out her cigarette.
"I saw the letter." I said with a shaky voice as we went inside.

"I'm sorry." She said as she placed the letter down in front of me. I read over each word carefully. There it was in black and white. Proof that my dad had won the custody battle.
"I should've put up the evidence against him." my mom said through her tears. I read over the text again and again. I would have to go to Seattle and live with him. I would have to live with the monster that beat me and raped me. I could feel warm tears falling down my face.
"I have to go live with...him?" I stuttered as I held the paper with my finger tips, as if it was a disease.
"Him and his girlfriend and her son. I talked to her though and she said that he's rarely ever home and he's better now." My mom said reassuringly. I hugged my mom before I grabbed a box of cigarettes and a lighter off the counter. I slipped my feet into a pair of smooshed vans before walking out.

I wandered down the streets and back roads I finished cigarette after cigarette. I made my way down a familiar path to find myself in the middle of the city. I entered a brick apartment building and went right to the elevator. I hit the first button for the top floor. The ride was steady as the carriage didn't stop on any other floors. I let the tears fall from my eyes and drip onto the floor. As I reached my stop I wiped my eyes and stepped into the vacant hallway. I saw the stairs at the end of the cream painted tunnel. I quickly took the stairs two at a time like I had learned from Chris.

I sat on the tar covered roof as I held the metal lighter under my hand. I waited until I couldn't take the stinging feeling to take my hand away from the hot trail of smoke. I repeated these steps until my whole arm was red and blistered. I threw the lighter across the roof as my anger got the best of me. I stood up slowly and walked to the edge. So far down. Even if I didn't die I would at least be numb for a little while. I stepped up onto the ledge and dangled one foot into the open air.

A pair of arms wrapped around me and pulled me off the ledge. It felt like I was flying. As soon as I felt the person pull me into their chest I felt like I was falling.
"Ricky don't." Chris said between his staggered sobs.
"Ricky. Don't. Don't do it. I need you. What ever it is. I'm here and I don't care what it takes. I need you." Chris said as he pulled my whole body into his.
"I'm sorry. I can't be here. They're going to send me to my dad. I can't go to him. I can't Chris." I said as I let the tears run down my face again.
"Stay with me. I'll make everything okay. It'll be me and you and Kuza and Ghost. Everything will be okay." Chris said as he wiped my face. I took his hand away from my face and held it in both my hands, pressing it against my lips.
"I'll make it okay. You have to be strong. If you go to him then I'll be out there in a month and I'll get you and bring you back here." Chris said quickly. I nodded as I wrapped my arms around his waist. He pulled me in close for a warm hug.
"It's going to be okay Ricky. I promise." He said as I felt his arms release me. I pulled my head away from him and he quickly slipped something over my neck. I looked at the key that was attached to the thin cord.
"Forever and always." Chris said as he kissed the top of my head. We stood there holding each other until my legs were going numb. The stars were vivid dots flashing across the night sky. The fluresnt lighting in all the buildings made the earth mesh with the universe.
"Chris I almost jumped off this building. Now i'm holding onto the love of my life. Thank you." I murmured into Chris's chest.
"If you ever think things are looking down hill, remember we are all living on a big wet ball floating around in the dark." Chris said with a forced laugh.
"I love you." I whispered quietly.
"And I love you." Chris whispered back.

So here we stand.

Staring out, at all those

City lights.