Chapter Thirteen: A New Family

Start from the beginning

“What?”

“Come on Katrina. You know those people are different and well Brent has always led them, like his father, though you moved here while Brent was the leader. You can tell he is because he gives off this crazy power and the others all seem to respect him and do whatever he says.” She sighed.

“Yeah well he is.” I felt the tears sting and hugged her.

“Hey no crying,” Linda chocked. “If you start then I’m going to start and once we both start we’ll be gone.”

I nodded. “Alright. I’ll call you and let you know how things go.” I moved to leave but she caught my arm.

“I’m glad we got to be friends. And I’m happy for you.”

“You act as if we won’t see each other again.” I felt my heart pull.

“Come on Katrina how many jokes have we made about those people never talking with the townspeople. You’ll become one of them and I’ll just be a memory. But don’t worry you belong where ever your heart tells you.”

“I’m not going to let that happy to us.” I hugged her again and left before she could reply.

Brent was waiting for me outside. He had this look that made me think he thought I was about to break down but I shook my head. “I’ve never really felt at home till you came so I feel like I’m finally going home so I’m not too sad about leaving.”

He pulled me into his arms and kissed my forehead. “Amor your strength continues to surprise me.” He opened the car door for me and I stepped in.

I sat and enjoyed the drive as Brent drove high up into the mountains. Like the first time we drove up here the air smelled cleaner and I felt nature all around us. It was still early afternoon and I watched as the clouds cast shadows across the hills making them look like a sea of green.

“I was supposed to go to court today,” I said as I remembered the whole deal with the bank robbery.

Brent chuckled. “I’ll take care of that.” He reached over and took my hand. “You ready to join the crazy people of the mountains?”

“Yes. As long as I’m with you the answer will always be yes.”

“Good because we’re here,” he said as he pulled the car up to an amazing house and my jaw dropped. “This is my parent’s house. I figured everyone wants to meet you.”

The house was a huge log cabin. It had two stories and looked as if it fit right into the woods surrounding it. If Brent hadn’t stopped the car I probably would have never seen it.

Reaching over Brent took my hand. “They’ll all love you. Besides the only one who has a say is my mother but since you’re my mate she’ll love you.”

“Your mom? How come?”

He chuckled. “Because everyone loves my mom and follows her. You might think it would be my father but my mom has him so whipped he’ll do anything for her.”

“Like father like son,” I muttered as we got out of the car.

Brent took my hand and gave it a squeeze a little too hard. “I heard that.” But loosened his hold and we made our way up to the house. He opened the door and we made our way inside.

I was shocked at how beautiful the house was. It was the exact image you would think of for a cabin and it had a sweet homey feeling to it.

"Uncky!" a little girl screamed as she ran into the room and went straight for Brent.