Issue #9: Research...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

~Super awesome video!!! :D

Soon as I stepped out of the car I could smell the human flesh. It was sickening. The lightning must’ve roasted him. I prayed it wasn’t the DNR guy from the day before. I was relieved when I saw him standing by the yellow tape of the police marks. He looked distressed.

“Oh my god.” I breathed, walking up to him. “What happened?”

 “He—” The DNR officer stuttered. He looked to where they had put the man in a body bag. He couldn’t finish his sentence.

“Nevermind,” I answered, and as I said that I saw a van with a lion painted on the side. My guess was it was the Paranormal Society. Wonderful.

“Come on,” I said lightly, “If the cops are done talking do you want to go get some coffee before idiot one and two comes to drive you crazy?”

 “Sure,” He said quietly, “Maybe not coffee though, I’m pretty sure I need a drink.”

We sat at Carol’s Diner, where Carol’s daughter Eve poured a drink for Carter. His green eyes stood hard at the whiskey, and then he took the shot in one gulp.

“I’m sorry about your friend.” I said sympathetically. He was taking this hard.

 “We were like brothers you know? We’d always come here after a long day and play darts.” He said and stared at the dart board off in the corner.

“I would’ve taken you to a different place, but this is the only diner I’ve really been to since I’ve gotten here.” If I hadn’t pitied the guy so much I would have drove around all day looking for a better diner.

“That’s okay, I’m glad for the offer. Not many people appreciate DNR officers." He was right, the way I got into the veterinary clinic was through the Center at home, where I took the class Environmental Agriculture Science. Some people in there didn’t appreciate DNR because they stopped them from hunting. I figured they’d get over it. They never do.

 I turned my head towards a group of men in flannel jackets. They looked like a group that fit perfectly into this place, especially the beards and the cigarette in the ones hand. The one had a gun tucked in his belt. They were staring at me in an eerie way. My eyes narrowed and went to the hunting knife in my back pocket. My eyes locked hard on them, just try something, part of me wanted to get up and stab the knife into their table right now, but I didn’t want to alarm Carter.  

 He was saying something to me, “Irene…Irene.” I realized he was talking to me. Oh yeah, that’s right. That’s what he thought my name was.

“Yes?” I asked curiously.

 “I appreciate this…I really do, but perhaps I should get going, I told them I’d come back in for my afternoon shift.” He stood up, grabbing his hat off the bar counter.

 “You sure that’s wise?” I asked calmly. “I mean, you are pretty beaten up about this,”

 “Yeah,” He put his hat on. “It’s a good distraction.”

 “Okay, I’ll see you around then.”

  “Yep, don’t worry about the drive over here,” He said, “A buddy of mine’s giving me a ride back to work.”

Carter left, I had a feeling I was going to be at the Grayling State Forest, later tonight. I had to go check stuff out.

 I collected my thoughts and followed only a few moments after him.

I wasn’t big on guns. So when I packed up that night I loaded my duffel with salt bags and an iron rod. I’d have to start making connections for a fake ID, the small town I lived in didn’t even have a place where you could get those.

My cell phone rang, I checked the ID it was Breanna. “Hey,” I answered, clicking the speaker button on.

 Her voice echoed, “I haven’t had much luck on your bird problem, everything I’ve found sounded so unrealistic. Nothing connects to ghosts and that’s the only thing that’s really out there right?”

 “Well, as far as I’ve hunted yeah,” I didn’t mention anything about demons, angels or interlopers to her. It would have blown her mind. “Why, what do you think it is?”

“Maybe a  chupacabra?” She said sarcastically.

“No, those are in Mexico.”

“How do you know that?” She asked, I shook my head, forgetting she couldn’t see me.

“I don’t know, I must’ve stumbled across the info last night when I was researching.” I think I actually heard Bobby say something about them when I was helping Dean and Sam, but I couldn’t say much more about the subject. I should’ve read more of the books in his library. For running a scrap yard, the man was well educated at least in the hunting department.

“Well, anyways, they sound like vicious little critters. I thought maybe they’d tear the birds apart.”

“Yea,” I thought carefully, “The thing about that is after they attacked one bird the whole flock should have flown off. Whatever it was hit them all at once.”

“Like lightning?” Breanna stated, flatly.

I threw the bag over my shoulder. “Yea, this may simply be lightning but I doubt lightning turned their eyes red. A DNR officer guy died last night. Struck by lightning. Maybe it’s just a random coincidence, but I’m leaving the hotel tonight and going to Grayling Forest to check stuff out. If I don’t find anything tonight I’ll head home tomorrow morning, kay?”

“Alright, be careful Sis.”

“Sure,” I replied, “Take care of Isis for me for a little longer, I’ll be back soon.”