"I'm here." I replied.

"What if we can't find them?" He asked, completely vulnerable with me.

"We will." I replied, squeezing his hand.

-

"Anything?" Tara asked once I walked into the house after searching for Carl and Judith for 14 hours.

"No." I mumbled, my hopes completely crushed.

"I'm sorry." She replied.

"I'm not giving up." I replied.

"How's Rick taking it?" She asked.

"Not good. It took everything in me to get him to come back here long enough to get something to eat." I answered.

"He's going back out?" She inquired.

"So am I." I replied.

"Sam, you're exhausted." She replied.

"I'll sleep in the car if I have to." I mumbled, turning the kitchen light on.

-

"Please be careful." Maggie pleaded.

"We will." Rick mumbled, getting in the truck.

"Sam, don't run yourself down." Maggie ordered.

"I won't." I replied, getting in the passenger side.

Once I got in the car, Rick drove off back in the direction we came from.

"You can sleep if you want to." He mumbled.

"I'm fine." I replied.

-

"A balloon. Could it be Carl?" I asked.

"Who else would have balloons?" Rick asked.

I half smiled, my hopes rising again.

"Carl!" I yelled, stepping over a tree stump.

I looked to my right, finding a walker feasting on someone about ten yards away.

"Rick," I mumbled, not wanting to go over to the victim.

We walked over to the walker who was now coming our way before Rick stabbed it in the head.

A lump formed in my throat as I looked down at the dead person on the ground.

You couldn't even tell who it was because of all of the blood and missing organs and parts.

I tried to ignore the fact that the boots looked like Carl's, but I don't think Rick did.

I gently turned the dead human over while Rick turned around and covered his eyes with his hand.

"It's not him." I declared, relief rushing through me as I looked at the bald head.

Rick turned around, his eyes bloodshot and my heart broke.