1: Problems

This story is a Trilogy that started as a oneshot. Below is the order of the stories.

- Turquoise Punchline Oneshot

1. The Turquoise Punchline

2. Asylum Romance

3. The Darker Side of Life

---------------

“Oh my god,” Jack gasped, staring at the child with wide eyes. I turned to him and frowned.

“Is it really that shocking?” I spoke, feeling self conscious, since he was, in fact, gawking at one of the traits I passed on to the boy. I had never seen The Joker so flabbergasted in my life, and I was positive it was a negative shock. He did not look pleased as he examined the small baby who lay before us in his nice, large crib. The baby looked up at Jack with confused eyes, then back to me.

“His hair. . . .Has blue in it!” he finally exclaimed, he was completely blown away.

“You can shut up now,” I grunted, turning my head away, offended. “Blue hair is completely lovely.”

“Yeah, on women,” he muttered. “Sort of.”

“Excuse me, you’re one to talk, Mr. Green-Hair.”

“It’s not natural, though! This is natural, and permanent!”

“You can shut up, our baby is fucking adorable. I mean, look! He has my grey eyes and only a small strand of blue, the rest of it is your weird naturally dirty blonde hair.”

“Weird?!”

“You normal people are so. . . .Touchy.” I flipped my hair over my shoulder and huffed.

“I’m normal? Me?”

“Yes, way too normal.” I picked up our son, and grinned at him. He looked at me with his wide and confused eyes. “Don’t you think so, Kellen?” 

He let out a tiny giggle. I brought him up to my face and gently left him a little kiss on the cheek, then turned him to face Jack. 

“Look at that face!” I cooed, Jack muttered something inaudible and turned his face, trying to avoid getting emotional. He didn’t like to show love and affection all too often. “Look, Kellen, look at daddy! Aww!” I knew how to get his attention, and as soon as my words left my mouth, there was a reaction.

The title ‘daddy’ sparked a little emotion in Jack, causing him to turn and lock eyes on Kellen. He gave in with a loud sigh and held him in his arms, gently placing a finger on Kellen’s hand, grinning as Kellen responded by wrapping his tiny, chubby fingers around his father’s finger. He looked up at him with a brilliantly absent gaze.

“Shit, you are just like your mother, aren’t you?” he sighed, obviously melting by the precious, curious eyes that watched his movements with pure awe. I would be offended if he had meant that the baby and I had shared the same absence of knowledge, but he was referring to the cuteness factor.

Kellen’s face suddenly held the emotion of discomfort, for a moment I sat there confused on why it was as presented, but then the stench hit the air and caused Jack to quickly give him to me and leave.

“Not my job,” he muttered under his breath, then left without another comment. I growled loudly, giving him the middle finger as he left since his back was turned, then placed the child on the bed. I changed his diaper on Jack’s side of the bed, then placed him back in the crib. 

“Go to sleep, honey,” I smiled softly, turning to meet the eyes of Gwen, my maid and baby sitter. She was a henchman of ours until she got into a terrible accident and lost most of the feeling in her right leg. After begging us to give her another job, since she was so persistent to keep working for us, I gave her the job I so desperately needed to hire for. 

Her injury didn’t affect how she cared for Kellen, because she still had the ability to walk, she just couldn’t run. It was fine. Kellen was not going to be running anytime soon. Gwen was sweet and had a heart that I trusted, and Kellen enjoyed her presence as well.

“Going out to work?” she asked.

“I think so, Joker left because he didn’t want to do diaper duty,” I scowled. “Thank you for watching him. Text me if you have any trouble. Laters!” I left my bedroom and walked to the backyard where Jack and a few of the men were assembling their weapons and making routine checks. Jack’s back was facing me, and by the look of the henchmen’s faces, he was talking about something odd. I walked silently behind him, hoping to hear a little of the conversation. As soon as I heard, I wish I had not contained such a strong curiosity.

“. . .And she’s way too much to handle sometimes, I wear it’s like I’m married to a–“

“A what?” my arms were folded, my eyebrows knitted in vexation as he shuffled awkwardly on his feet and turned to meet my gaze, his face holding an apologetic expression. “I think you have a problem, you always forget that I hold more intelligence than you do, even though I act like a child. Now one more word from you, and I will devise the perfect stink bomb for you to stumble upon one of these days. Got it?” I pushed past him a little too hard, causing him to fall over and grab a pole for support. I got into passenger seat and put on my seatbelt, waiting for lunkhead to get his arse in the front seat.

Once he did, I turned to him and squinted my eyes. “You’re mean, you know that?”

“Well, of course I am, you have changed into this motherly piece of work!”

“Oh, sorry I care about my child, I–“

“No, listen,” his eyes were locked on mine. “You aren’t. . . . .You anymore. You aren’t the woman I fell in love with at the Asylum.” his eyes held a painfully harsh truth, I bit my tongue and turned my eyes away from his, and out of the window.

He was right.

I was no longer the Evangeline he fell for.