21. If I Had A Heart I Could Love You.

Start from the beginning

"Now that I have your attention," he said as a smirked tugged at his lips. "I will help in any way I can, but I can't get you out of here. Maybe I am being selfish for myself, but I don't want to lose you. Even if I wanted to get you out of here, Falentine and Taavi would never allow it. They have the undying loyalty of our kind. I am sorry I wish things were different, but they aren't. I can promise you I will do whatever I can to protect your family as well. I do care about you, Adelina. Somehow you've thawed this icy heart and I can't even begin to understand it. You need to listen to me on some things. First, don't piss Falentine off. That is the sure way get your family killed. Stay away from him when you can and watch your tongue around him. He is ruthless. He won't hesitate to kill everybody you've ever loved and cared for. Secondly, stay away from your sister. I can't go into detail but I can tell you that you need to be careful around her. She isn't who you remember her to be. She doesn't care about you as she used to." "What exactly do you mean Asmund? Why has she changed?" Adelina was still worried about her sister.

"All will be explained. Before I let you go and leave your room, though, I need you to promise me these things."

Adelina let her thoughts drift as she looked down towards the ground. Asmund lifted her chin forcing her to hold his gaze.

"Do I have your word on this, Adelina?"

"I don't love you, you know," She said in a stubborn voice. "I don't like you. If you think I can just forgive everything that you've done... And NOW you've kissed me!" realization struck her as she put words to the previous actions.

"I know. I don't expect you to ever love me after what we've done to you or what is going to happen. Doesn't change the way I feel about you. And yes I am sorry I kissed you, but you have brought something out in me that has been dead for a very long time. I will let you get some rest but first I need you to at least tell me you understand what I have said." He said pushing his body away from hers. Adelina shivered as his warmth left her.

"I heard you, Asmund. I don't know why you are warning me, but I do believe you. Now, if you don't mind I've had a rough night and I'd like to be left alone."

Asmund looked at her one last time before turning on his heel and promptly exiting the room. Adelina stood there a moment longer as she took her hands and traced her lips. Her brain was having a hard time processing the last few moments. She didn't know what to make of it all. Her sister wasn't the same person she knew, Daniel, and now Asmund had kissed her. Of all things to happen, this was the very last thing she had expected. As she stood there, she let his words sink in even more.

He wasn't going to help her escape, that was certain. However, he did seem to sympathize with her so maybe there was another way around things. Maybe there was something else she could do. She thought about what Falentine had said about being prepared for his and Tessa's engagement party.

"Prepared huh..." She said out loud, deep in thought.

"Hmmm... If Asmund won't help me escape, maybe it is time I did something on my own."

She knew it was time to consider other options. She had to find a way out of this prison. If she could find a way to escape, maybe she could find help for her family. Surely Asmund would protect them, if he ever had a hope for her to fall in-love with him, right?

A weapon. A weapon was exactly what she needed right now. She could wait for the perfect opportunity before finding a way out. Her chest swelled with adrenaline and excitement, her heart racing.

"Surely there has to be something..."

She began to rummage through cabinets and drawers but to no avail. She sat the edge of the bed and began to pick at the bandage on her arm, lost deep in thought.

"Where would I be able to get a weapon?"

She knew the guards were all to smart to fall for any of her tricks. She never saw Asmund or any of the brothers carry any type of weapons on them either. She let her body flail backwards and hit the bed in frustration. She felt for her bandage, making sure she hadn't ripped it off in the process. Suddenly she thought of Malora. She remembered when Malora had come to bandage her and stitch her arm. She had all types of knives, among other things in that small room. Hope began to swell through her chest as she down at her arm. How would she find a reason to go and see Malora? Her mind began to race with ideas.

"Maybe... no... NO that won't work." She let out a groan.

She stared long and hard at her arm, when it hit her. She would need a good excuse to go see Malora. A really good excuse! Excitement began to coarse through her veins as she lifted the bandage completely off her arm. She stared a minute at the wonderful stitching job that had been done.

A smile crept across her face as she lifted herself and strolled over to the bathroom. She began to rummage around until she found a small cheap razor.

"This won't be fun..."

And with that she bit down on her tongue and ran the razor firmly across her stitches, popping them one by one.

n