1. The ghost of him

“Calen, nandito si Jin Hye.”

Calen almost didn’t breathe when he heard what his brother told him over the phone. It was almost midnight and he was about to succumb to his own loneliness when his phone rang. He didn’t have any idea what the call was about but he surely didn’t think that it’ll be about his Cinderella. 

He immediately stood up. He didn’t even bother ending the call, he went out of the house and he run the distance between his home and his twin brother’s and just like what Caleb told him over the phone – Jin Hye was there.

It’s been a year and a half since he last saw her. A year and a half of living under her memories – the memories she had forgotten – iyon lang ang naging buhay niya. And now, she was here, sitting on the couch inside Caleb’s house, hindi niya alam kung anong gagawin niya. He wanted to hug her, kiss her, make her his again. He wanted her. He had missed her so much – but before all of those things, he first wanted to know about her memories.

Bumalik na ba ang alaala nito? Is that the reason why she’s here? He was about to enter the house when Caleb spoke.

“Jin Hye, why are you here? Dapat nasa Korea ka.” Sabi ng kapatid niya. He wanted to kick him. Bakit nito pinababalik si Jin Hye sa Korea? Hindi ba ito masaya na nandito na ang babaeng pupuno sa kanya?

“I could only remember some things, Caleb, pero nandito ako for us, I want to make this marriage work. I love you.”

His jaw fell. Did he hear her right?

The woman he loved with all of him confessed her undying love for his brother. His heart stopped. Nakita niyang hinawakan ni Jin Hye ang kamay ni Caleb.

“I wanna make this work. I know you’re not ready. Maghihintay ako.”

And then she was out of the door. He hid himself behind Caleb’s car at the garage, he watched Jin Hye walked away, she got in a black SUV, the car drove away while he tried catching his breath. Nagmamadali siyang pumasok sa loob ng bahay and he found his twin brother walking back and forth his living room. Mukhang nagulat pa ito nang makita siya.

“Why are you making her leave?” He hissed at him. Caleb look confused. Nakatitig lang ito sa kanya. “Sh-she’s i-in l-love with you…”

“Don’t be like that!” Caled said. Nagpalakad-lakad ito. Hindi niya maintindihan ang nangyayari. He sent Jin Hye back to Korea because he wanted her to be safe, he sacrificed the love he feels for her just so she could have a good life in Korea. As much as he wanted to be with her, hindi pwede. Mahal niya si Jin Hye at mahal rin siya nito, he knew that, he felt that, pero right now, Jin Hye… She had forgotten him and their memories together.

May amnesia ito.

And that was the reason why they couldn’t be together.

He wanted her, he needed her. He had lived a life so dark just because he wasn’t around him. He loved her so much, and now that she’s back, he will do everything just to be with her.

“You know I don’t love her.” Sabi pa ni Caleb sa kanya. Hindi siya nakakibo. Huminga siya ng malalim.

“Does she…” Hindi niya maituloy ang gusto niyang sabihin. He wanted to know if Jin Hye remembers him…

“I don’t think so.” Caleb answered him. “She went here because she wanted to make our marriage work.” Sabi nito sa kanya. “I guess she remembers the fact that we were once married pero wala pa sa isip niya na annulled na kami.” Malungkot na sabi ng kapatid niya. Bumagsak naman ang balikat niya.