Chapter 10

A/N: I'm so, so sorry this took so very, very long to update. I know it's been more than a few months since the last proper one and it wasn't very nice of me to make you all wait.

I can't promise how fast chapters will be coming out again after this one, I'm trying to get back into it again like I said in the last AN, I really am, but it has been difficult in general life for me recently. Unfortunately, one of my friends had both their lungs fail and had to have a double transplant. She's doing fine so far, and is waking up from the induced coma and recovering and all... So yeah, she's getting better and I'll hopefully see her again soon.

Anyway, away from all that mildly depressing text. Again, I hope that updates won't take this long in the future, but I can't promise anything, knowing me. But for now, please enjoy. :)

The ride was quiet to begin with. And unfortunately for Peter, it mostly consisted of him being stared at.

For the most part, Peter had accepted this and tried his best to ignore the many pairs of eyes that were constantly on and boring into him. But after an hour into the long journey, he'd gotten slightly fed up.

He huffed out a sigh as he spoke. "Alright, what? You've been staring at me the past hour. Ask questions or lecture me on my age yadda yadda yadda. Just pop to it, we'll be there soon."

Most of the occupants flinched and looked away guiltily. Ones who did not, like Natasha and Thor, just gave a small wince.

There was a beat of silence before anyone decided to speak up.

"How?" One word. The one word question that had been on everyone's minds was asked and Peter was silently glad it had been that question.

Peter opened his mouth to reply, but instead slipped his mask off so he could properly look anyone in the eye if need be.

"Spider bite." Was all he offered for now, tapping the back of his neck. He was hoping someone would probe him a little more for more information. He felt no real need to, but did it anyway just to get on their nerves slightly at having to ask for an elaboration.

"Details, if you please." It was Natasha who spoke this time, halting Steve from furthering the original question. So, Peter launched into the explanation that he hoped would be satisfactory.

"Well, my dad was a geneticist at OsCorp. He and Doctor Connors had been working together on the theory that, if they could isolate certain parts of the DNA in some animals that cause regeneration of cells, or even limbs, they could potentially cure things like cancer. Or even give people back lost appendages, which was pretty much the main reason Connors was on the project in the first place.

"They created these spider-human hybrids, with venom that was theorized to have this cell regenerative ability. They were almost ready to move onto testing when my dad found out what they were going to do with the spiders. So he destroyed all the research he could and killed all the spiders he could before fleeing the country with my mum." Peter sighed again before continuing.

"Their plane crashed from an unknown cause and they both died. But I have half a mind to think OsCorp was behind it. Turns out they died for nothing because they managed to save some of the work and bred the spiders again.

"Long story short, I snuck in so I could speak with Connors, found my way into the very convenient spider room and managed to get myself bit. I woke up on the train home less than an hour later and managed to accidentally knock down a few men I'd accidentally managed to piss off with a metal pole... fun times..." Peter snorted amusedly at the memory. It still felt like it was yesterday, waking up suddenly hyper aware of everything around him, as well as the slight precognition ability that he'd affectionately dubbed his 'Spider sense'.