Chapter 8

Once Peter had reached the bottom of the stairs, he didn't hesitate to swiftly exit the building, turning left to take the long way home in which he'd have to circle back.

On the outside, he just looked like some normal teenager. Hoodie up, head down and hands shoved as deep as they could go into his jacket pockets, but on the inside, he was having a nervous breakdown.

Oh god, oh god. Why did I do this to myself? I thought I'd be ready. BUT I AM VERY NOT READY FOR A MURDER BOT! Peter thought frantically.

Ultron would've been able to get into everything. What about Aunt May? Would he go after her because I was there? Would he figure out my secret and tell the world? No... I think he'd keep that to himself, probably to blackmail me or something if he knew... S.H.I.E.L.D doesn't even know I'm Spiderman and that's saying something.

Peter sighed to himself, realizing he'd been lost in thought for so long he was turning into his street and it had only been about fifteen minutes.

I'll have to warn Aunt May. If he comes after her, she needs to know. He decided, pushing the front door open.

"Hey Aunt May, I'm home!" He called, walking further into the small living space.

"Oh, Peter! Thank goodness you're alright! I saw the news, what happened?" She demanded engulfing him in a hug, which he bent over slightly to return.

"I was actually going to tell you about that. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else, otherwise people might panic okay?"

His aunt pulled back from the hug and nodded up at him with a curious yet concerned look on her fragile features.

"The robot is called Ultron. It was an artificial intelligence that was supposed to help the world. Tony, Bruce and I had been creating it. Something went wrong and it attacked us. But we're all fine, there's just a lot of broken glass. I need you to know that Ultron will make himself stronger than the Ironman suits, and I'm telling you this because he might come after you because I was there. I'm so sorry I put you in danger Aunt May" Peter explained, looking down in shame.

May smiled sympathetically and lifted his chin with a soft hand. "Don't be sorry Peter, it's not your fault. You couldn't have possibly known something like this would happen. You were just trying to do the right thing. Just like you always do, and I couldn't be more proud of you for that."

Peter gave a small, but sad smile. "Promise me you'll keep safe? And call me if there's anything you need. Even if Ultron comes here, you have to call me okay? Promise?"

Aunt May nodded. "Alright, I promise. Now go clean yourself up. You don't need any more cuts and bruises then you already have..." She added the last part slightly hesitantly, still worried about her nephew. But she was slightly relieved to have a proper reason as to why he was battered up this time.

"Okay. It's getting late, I'll go to bed after, and you should too. You look exhausted, Aunt May." The teen gave his Aunt one last hug, squeezing her lightly, and giving her a quick peck on the cheek before rushing up to take a nice hot shower.

"Ultron's cleared us out. He has everything on us, probably knows more about us then we know about each other."

"Well, except Parker." Tony added, from his position at a computer. The others gave him a confused look, so he explained. "We know almost nothing about this kid. S.H.I.E.L.D had nothing on him. Normal kid, smart, lost his parents when he was a kid in a plane crash, his Uncle when he confronted a petty thief with a gun. During the lizard attack, his girlfriend's dad, the captain of the NYPD, was impaled by the Lizard while aiding Spiderman at OsCorp.

About a year later, when that Electro dude and Harry Osborn, aka the Green Goblin, showed up, Gwen Stacey was also killed while aiding Spiderman. She fell from the top of the clock tower, Spidey only missed saving her by a few centimeters."

The rest of the group winced, all silently agreeing that Peter had it rough.

"All seemed normal, just some poor kid with a pretty horrible life and theeennnn, suddenly out of nowhere, he's got some abilities that might give Spangles a run for his money. He's fast and he's strong. But he's practically a stick."

"So what're you getting at Stark." Steve asked, getting an idea of where this was going.

"To put it bluntly, I think he might be one of those mutants. It's the only explanation. I should've gotten that sample-"

"No Tony. You know the controversy there is about mutants." Bruce stated firmly. "And Tony, I really don't think that he's a mutant, or the X gene would have shown up somewhere in his life. I read those files too, ya know."

"Then what other explanation do you have?" Clint chipped in from the side, cleaning up a cut from some glass.

"Human experimentation? It's not like it's unheard of." The Captain suggested.

Tony shook his head. "Can't be, he hasn't been kidnapped or gone off the map for something like that to happen. You know what? We have a pretty good idea of what our next move is. But we're no good like this. We'll get more research done in the morning. For now, let's rest up and prepare"