We're Faced With Ugly Choices (Barton/Barnes x reader)

Start from the beginning

The final sentence cut him to his core and he finally let his tears build and roll down his cheeks, but he did his best to keep his breathing even and the sounds of crying away. "How could you feel safe with me, (Y/N)? After that?" 

"You're my big brother, Clint.  There's no one else that I would feel safer with.  Especially now."

~~~

"Buck, you need to calm down.  If they're in there like we think they are, then you need to hold it together at least until we get them home, alright?"  Steve stood at his friend's side as they both put on their gear and prepared to land just outside of a base believed to have you and your brother held hostage.  "Nat, remember the plan," Steve said firmly as he pointed at her, "no going rogue.  We work as a team and bring them both out as quickly and quietly as we can."

"That really hasn't been our style, Cap," Tony interjected, "I say we take out as many HYDRA as we can. Make these bastards pay."

"If we go in and start blowing things up, how do we know that they won't take it out on (Y/N) and Clint? How do we know that they won't kill them before we can reach them?  We go in, find them, and get out."

Bucky and Natasha glanced at each other and straightened, both of them understanding what this mission meant on a personal level; Natasha was Clint's best friend, and Bucky was yours. They were going in together, at their own insistence, while Steve and Tony guarded from the outside but fully prepared for a full-scale assault.  They knew that Steve was right; that a loud attack would only put you in more danger.

"Don't worry," Bucky whispered, "I can do both."

~~~

If Natasha and Bucky were having any trouble finding you, then you were sure to have turned them in the right direction now.  Lying next to Clint, you woke with a blood-curdling scream, waking to the sound of your own voice echoing down the halls of the base, filled with terror from your latest nightmare.  Clint had heard you before, but never from at your side, and it shook him to his core in a way that he would never forget.

"(Y/N), hey, I'm right here. I've got you, sweetheart."

You panted and opened your eyes, struggling to focus in the dark room that held barely any light to orient you.  When a round of silenced gunfire was shot next to your room, you felt the first sensations of hope that you had experienced since before you were taken. Looking to Clint, you rolled tighter against him until you knew for sure what was happening.

Clint tried to stay motionless as to not draw attention, but his efforts didn't last long.  He nearly jumped from the gurney in surprise when the door was blasted open, but the loud noise made you recoil in fear and his grip tighten around you.  Once inside, Natasha rushed to Clint while Bucky kept a lookout, turning his head slightly to see you; when his eyes met yours and he saw your fragile and broken state, he abandoned his post to be immediately at your side.

"Oh, (Y/N), oh look at you," he murmured quietly in your ear, while slowly sliding his hands beneath you and lifting you gently to hold against him, ready to carry you out to the waiting jet.  "You're safe, baby.  I'm going to make sure that you're always safe, okay?"

"Here," Natasha said with a stern whisper to Clint, handing him his bow and quiver, "thought you could give us a hand?"

A wide smile replaced his look of surprise, readily grabbing his gear and slinging it over his back. He took an arrow in hand and allowed himself a slow, deep breath to steady himself.  "Nat, it would be my genuine pleasure."  He paused and looked at Bucky with you held securely, quickly taking the few steps to close the gap between you and gently kissing your head.

"We're getting out of here, (Y/N).  Hold on tight, it's gonna be fast."

You kept your eyes tightly closed as Bucky moved through the dark building with you, watching the scene play out in your mind.  There were only a few yells to stop and a small number of screams before a shot of Natasha's gun or before the sound of Clint's arrow cutting through the air, but you knew that by the time you reached the jet, there were very few, if any, of HYDRA left standing.

~~~

"Hey, here," Steve whispered, handing a fresh cup of coffee to Bucky as he maintained his vigil at your hospital bedside.  "You ever gonna get any sleep?"

"No."

Steve gave a small smirk and a raise of his eyebrows, amused at the answer that he should've known was coming.  Bucky looked exhausted, but in his years of battle he had learned how to survive on little rest, and was falling back on that to keep himself with you now.  "I can stay with her for a while if you need a break, Buck.  There's no shame in that."

"I told her that I would make sure she's always safe.   I can't do that if I'm not here."

"You can't be with her every minute.  You're putting too much of this on yourself.  We're here too, and Clint..."

"Barton had to leave," Bucky said flatly, "his family came down with some stomach bug or something, but he knew that I would watch over her."

Steve watched his friend watching you; he took the last drink from his cup and set it aside, leaning forward in his chair to rest his arms on his thighs and consider how to approach his topic.  His voice was calm and quiet, trying not to push too hard.  "Bucky, I've never seen you like this.  What's going on?"

"Don't know what you mean."

"Okay," Steve sighed, "I'll be more to the point.  Do you love her?  Only a guy in love would act like you are right now."

Bucky stood and moved to your side, running a finger over the top of your hand, circling around the bandage that secured your IV and grimacing at the sight of the cuts and bruises that discolored your soft skin.  "Yeah, I suppose I do.  Is that a problem?"

A small chuckle escaped Steve's lips as he sat back in his chair, "not as far as I'm concerned. Nobody's breaking any bylaws.  You might want to consider how to tell Clint, though."

"I need to tell her first."

"Well, that's actually the easy part in this case, pal.  Because I think she already knows."  Steve stood and gave Bucky a firm slap on the shoulder and turned to leave, pausing at the door.  "Before she went missing, she had asked me how to tell you the same thing." 

Even though you were sedated so that you could rest, and even though you likely wouldn't know or remember it, Bucky leaned down and kissed you, gently pressing his lips to yours for just a moment.  He pulled back to tuck a stray strand of hair behind your ear, committing your peaceful expression to his memory before taking his place at your side, prepared to fulfill his promise for as long as it would take.