The New Guy (Bucky Barnes x reader)

What was it with the new guy? Why was he such a pain in the ass?

Steve hit you square in the jaw, knocking you to the hard gym floor. "Oh god, I'm sorry (Y/N)! I thought you were ready for me! Are you okay?"

"So when they say 'seeing stars', they really mean it, huh?" You chuckled a bit, trying to keep the Captain from feeling any worse than he already did. "I'm okay. Sorry, I was just lost in thought. My fault." You stood slowly, shaking your head a bit, trying to regain your equilibrium. "Damn, Cap. That was a good one."

Taking your hand and guiding you to the nearby bench, he sat by you with his arm around your shoulder, watching you. "You sure you're okay? I can take you down to the infirmary-"

"Steve, I can take a hit. I just wasn't paying attention." Now that you were taking an unplanned break, you figured this was as good a time as any to ask him about Bucky. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Go."

"So, you had asked that I work with Bucky to help him here at the tower, right?" He nodded, now looking more solemn and quiet. "Well, I've been meeting with him almost every day, and I feel like we aren't getting anywhere. He won't open up to me, even though he claims to trust me. He acts like he can't stand to even be in the same room with me."

He contemplated this for a few moments, then nodded his head slightly. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to. It's okay."

"It's not that, really. I was just hoping for some insight." Standing, you tapped him on the knee, attempting to reassure him. "I've got this. Captain's orders."

~~~

"Miss? Miss (Y/L/N), wake up."

Groaning, you reluctantly rolled to your back, having fallen asleep only moments ago. "What is it, FRIDAY?"

"Mr. Barnes is calling for you. He is in distress."

Throwing your blankets off, you ran from your room and rushed to Bucky's, charging thru his door to see him curled up on the ground next to his bed. You rushed to his side and sat next to him, resting your hand on his. "Hey, hey, hey. You're okay. Buck, you're ok, I'm here."

As he looked up at you, his eyes were unfamiliar and distant. He looked at you with confusion and fear. Clearly he had a nightmare, and looked as if he hadn't fully awakened from it. "James..."

His eyes widened, alight with terror. He jolted upright, his metal hand grabbing you and throwing you against the wall. "FRIDAY, I need Steve!" He charged towards you, his hand now around your throat, lifting you off the ground. "B-Buck-" The room darkened just as you heard Steve rushing towards you.

~~~

You hated the infirmary. It was cold and much too bright. It smelled of antiseptic and the incessant beeping of the monitors was maddening. You opened your eyes to find Steve sitting next to you, staring ahead, motionless.

"I can't do it anymore, Cap." Your words were barely a whisper, burning your throat.

He quickly stood by you, holding your hand. His worried expression softened as he looked at you. "I know. I won't let you. I don't know what I was thinking. This is for me to figure out, for me to help him. I put this on you, and I'm so sorry."

~~~

Several weeks had passed since what became known as 'the incident' between you and Bucky. You had become quite skilled at avoiding each other when you were both in the tower. The team had also become skilled at facilitating this; pulling you to the common room when they knew he was entering the building, Steve taking Bucky to the gym when you were in the kitchen, Tony taking you out for coffee when Bucky wanted to watch a movie. It was a perfected dance.