Will You Never Learn? (Loki x reader)

"Buck, I'm fine."

"This looks pretty bad, (Y/N)."

"Barnes, seriously," you sighed, slapping his hands away from the wound on your side, "I'm fine."

He leaned back in his seat on the jet, looking at you skeptically, knowing that you had a history of downplaying your injuries only to find that they were actually much worse. "Are you sure?"

"Stop."

Despite his insistence that you visit the infirmary, when the jet landed at home you instead went to your room to unpack and find comfort in your own bed. You opened the door and were about to throw your gear on the floor but stopped suddenly at the sight of your boyfriend asleep in the chair next to your bed. You must have forgotten that Loki said he would wait for your return.

Grabbing clean clothing for bed, you changed in the bathroom as to not wake him, and so that he wouldn't see your injury. Any time you had come home hurt, he would lecture you for hours on end about how being an Avenger was far too unsafe and that he wanted you to come to Asgard with him instead. He said the same words so many times now that you nearly had his speech memorized.

You slowly pulled your shirt up over your head, sucking in a harsh breath and grimacing at the pain that stabbed through your chest. Your reflection in the mirror shocked you, seeing that maybe Bucky was right; it did look pretty bad. There was already a dark bruise that ran from your lower ribs down to your hip, beginning to move around towards the front now too.

"Great," you sighed to yourself, "just great." You gently slid your clean shirt down and finished preparing for the night. Moving quietly you got into bed, struggling to find a comfortable position and moaning quietly at the pain with each shift.

"I didn't hear you arrive, my love."

"I didn't want to wake you."

Loki stood and removed his coat, setting it carefully on the chair and turning towards you. "If I have travelled all this way to visit you, then you wake me." He smiled and gestured towards the empty side of the bed, "may I?"

You let out a small laugh and pulled the blankets back for him so that he could join you. "You know, for someone with such a problematic reputation, you certainly are polite." As he swung his feet in and took a position to have you lie next to him, you steeled yourself for the pain that was about to happen when you moved.

"You don't look well, (Y/N)," he paused, sitting back up to look at you more closely. "You're very pale."

"I'm just exhausted," you sighed and tapped your hand against his pillow, "come on."

He gave you the same skeptical look that Bucky had only a few hours before, but leaned back and held his arms out to you. You slowly curled yourself against his chest and closed your eyes, hoping that you would be able to sleep through the pain that had been building since you got home. If you could just get through the night, he wouldn't need to know.

~~~

"Wake up."

"Loki...wake up." You gave his arm a shake, now struggling with even that little amount of movement.

"I'm awake," he sighed.

"I can't...breathe."

He quickly startled awake and lifted himself up to stand at the side of the bed, his eyes wide at the sound of the small scream in pain that you could manage between shallow breaths as the mattress shifted. He turned on the light and frantically pulled the blanket back, gasping at how pale you had become in only a few hours, with the exception of the deep discoloration that had spread over your stomach and into your back.

"I'll get help," he leaned down and quickly kissed your forehead and ran to the only room that he knew: his brother's.

Only seconds later Thor appeared with Loki just a step behind, both of them clearly scared now. "FRIDAY, we require assistance! Get...just get everyone." Thor commanded, brushing your hair back from your face as he knelt down in front of you. "We need to move you, (Y/N)," he whispered.

You shook your head at the thought of how excruciating it was going to be, knowing that you wouldn't be able to do it. Your breathing had become such a struggle that you couldn't even tell him how afraid you were.

Bucky arrived first, followed by Steve, Natasha and Wanda, their looks of fatigue rapidly changing to shock as they entered your room. Tony finally arrived next, stopping at the door when he saw you. "FRIDAY, call 911," he said, stepping up to Wanda and pulling her aside. "Can you do something? Knock her out? She's in too much pain, we'll never be able to move her."

"I can try." She sat on the bed next to you and put her hands on your head, closing her eyes. Loki was still standing behind his brother, anxiously watching and hoping that she would be able to give you relief.

"Go to sleep, darling," he whispered, watching as your eyes finally closed and your body relaxed under Wanda's spell.

~~~

After you had come out of surgery, and once the rest of the team had returned to the tower, Loki stayed at your side and would continue to stay there until the moment you were released. Visitors from the team would come and go over the next week, but he remained constant, rarely leaving your room. He stayed quiet, watching medications infuse into your veins, watching the nurse change your bandages, and merely smiling only briefly when the doctor finally cleared you to go home.

"Are you not speaking to me now?" you asked as he helped you change from your hospital gown and into your own clothing. "You haven't said more than two words to me all week."

"I have never experienced anything like that, (Y/N). It was terrifying."

"I'm sorry. I've said I'm sorry a hundred times." You turned and yanked your shirt from his hands, determined to put it on without his help. "I can't apologize any more than that." You gasped quietly when you slid down from the bed and onto your feet, the shift in your body pulling at your bandages.

"Look at you," he huffed, "why would you choose to not say anything when you were injured? Is this better? Will you never learn?"

"You know, I think I can do this on my own if you just want to go."

Loki walked around the bed to stand in front of you, grabbing the clothes from your hands. "If you think that I'm leaving now, you are sorely mistaken. You need someone to watch over you."

"Like a babysitter?" you scoffed, "no, that's not gonna happen. Yes, I screwed up but I can take care of myself." You reached out and grabbed your shirt back from him angrily, hissing in pain when you pulled too hard and bumped into your stitches.

"Are you alright?" he asked worriedly, holding your shoulders and looking at you closely. "(Y/N), please, sit." You sat back on the bed hesitantly, allowing him to continue to hold you there. "I am not leaving you," he began, "so that I can watch over you because I love you, not because I don't think you can do it on your own. I have a responsibility."

"Promise?"

"If I must."

You rolled your eyes and handed him your shirt, ready to let him help you so that you could finally get home. "You must," you smirked, "but you could've just said it that way in the first place."