Where Did You Go? (Bucky Barnes x reader)

Leading a group of second graders through the Smithsonian was a really, really bad idea, and now that it was upon you, there was no turning back. You had only one other chaperone with you, and between the two of you there was barely enough control over the high-energy group to keep you from being kicked out of the museum forever.

"We only have one more exhibit to go, right?"

"God, I hope so." You gathered your students for one final room, anxious to just get it done and get back to the buses. Right now, all you wanted was your couch, a glass of wine and a good movie. Forging on, you corralled them together and made your way in. "Alright, kids. Try to pay attention and follow along with the story. We're going to have a short quiz on this tomorrow."

The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery, and sacrifice.

"Miss (Y/N), I want to meet Captain America!"

"Yes, I'm sure you do, Matthew. I'm sure a lot of people do."

Steven Rogers was chosen for a program, unique in the annals of American warfare.

"Miss (Y/N), do you think he's cute? You don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

"Lissa, I don't think that's an appropriate question for your teacher, do you? Let's just focus on learning about Captain Rogers, okay?"

Their mission, taking down Hydra; the Nazi rogue science division.

"Miss (Y/N), I have to pee."

Maybe a nice bottle of Advil to go that wine would be a good idea. You found the nearest bench and plopped yourself down, exasperated and ready for this day to be over. Shutting your eyes for just a moment, you heard soft footsteps approach and stop just in front of the display next to you. When you opened them you saw a man in an army jacket and ball cap staring at the face in the glass.

He just stood there, continuing to stare at it, unmoving for several minutes. You couldn't read his expression, but there was a sadness in his eyes. He looked lost. "Excuse me, are you okay?" You asked, trying to keep sight of your students.

He looked at you, confused, but didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry, really."

The man turned back to the display, but glanced back at you several times, watching you as you stood and returned to your group. The end of the exhibit came quickly, so you did your final head count and moved towards the buses. You were just about to leave, thankful that the day was over, when he approached you.

"I'm sorry if I was rude, ma'am. It wasn't my intention. I was just...surprised by your question." His voice was soft and soothing, quite the opposite of how this whole field trip had been for you.

"Tommy, just get on the bus." As you ushered your students in, you tried to be courteous enough to not appear too busy to talk to him now that he finally was ready to do so. "I didn't think you were rude. You just looked sad, that's all."

He nodded slightly, looking at his feet as he spoke. "Yeah, I suppose I am. I've been having trouble...well, trouble remembering...certain things." Finally looking up at you, he took a step closer and lowered his voice, "I really don't remember much of who I am, and I thought the exhibit would help me."

Your eyes widened as you realized who he was. Now that you got a closer look at his face, you recognized him as the man from Captain America's team. It was Bucky Barnes. Somehow, he was alive just like Steve Rogers was. How was it that he couldn't remember who he was? What had happened to him?