Last Days

Frank is stronger come the morning.

He's cried his tears, and clutched at me as tight as he needs to, for as long as he feels the urge. I'm happy to be held, grateful to be wanted by him so desperately. Despite knowing I love him, despite my conviction in his feelings, I wasn't sure we'd ever get to be so close again.

We sleep for an hour just after dawn, but I'm restless. In the end I give up, turn on my side, and watch Frank sleep.

He's so pretty, it causes an ache in my sternum.

He has a peaches and cream complexion. The softest pink gracing the lines of his cheekbones, overlaying pale, smooth flesh. His eyebrows and eyelashes are darkest black, the veins on his eyelids plum purple and ocean blue.

I let him rest for another half hour, but in the end, I'm selfish. I lean in to kiss him - his cheeks and his jaw and his throat and his chest. He starts to shift as I suckle at his pulse, and only a few moments later his arms encircle my waist, and he rolls onto his back so I can straddle him.

He's ready, and so am I, and without saying anything at all we claim each other again.

I ride him until I've finished twice, and he sits up so he can hold me close and kiss me as he finishes too. We collapse together, both wheezing.

"Feel free to wake me up like that again." His voice is hoarse.

"Sure thing."

He tugs on my hand until he can lift my knuckles to his mouth. His kisses are gentle.

"We should probably leave the room." He mutters, "Spend time with people, kind of thing."

The idea makes me wince, "Shower with me first?"

His eyes are tawny brown in this light; just darker than gold. His damp skin makes him glisten, like he's made of diamonds. He's flushed - more peaches than cream, now. His smile turns him from pretty to beautiful.

"Course I will."

He washes my hair, and I kiss him stupid for it. After we're dressed, and my hair hangs damp and softly curled around my waist, I bend to lace my boots. He's ready and waiting at the door, and I'm not sure I want to leave.

"There's people to see, Nevaeh." He murmurs, when I say it out loud. "I can't be as selfish as I want to be with you. Not now."

"Aren't I allowed to be as selfish as I want?" I say, wrenching my laces too tight. "Considering I'll never get to be again?"

He sighs, and comes to join me on the bed. He hooks an arm around my hips. "You can do whatever you want, love. If you crawl back into bed and stay there, I'll join you. But do you want to waste the time you have?"

"I don't consider that a waste." I drop my head onto his shoulder.

"Nor me," He chuckles, and kisses my forehead. "But you'll regret it if you don't spend time with the people you love."

"Do they all want to spend time with me?" I check, worried that I've ruined things. That I've burned all the bridges I had.

"They're desperate to see you." He reassures, "Not just our group, but the soldiers and the community as well."

People. Lots of people. The idea makes me seize up.

"I'll be with you the whole time." He squeezes me. "Everyone just wants to say thank you. Everyone is so grateful. And I'm not going to leave you."

"Not at all?"

"Not if you don't want that." He shrugs, and his hazel eyes are very serious. "I'm going to be disgustingly obsessed with you, of course. You'll probably order me away, but until then, fuck it."