Nervous Comfort

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to to awesome Eva Maree, who made the cover above for this story! I've dedicated the chapter to her. 

***

By the time we arrive home, it is mid-morning.

We are no more injured than we were yesterday; there was no need to fight our way out of the bank. The horde had wandered off, distracted by boredom or easier prey.

"They're going to freak," I murmur into the quiet.

Frank's looking at the bungalow, nodding apprehensively. "We don't have to tell them what happened."

I'm not sure which event he's talking about. My almost-assault. My murder victims. My confession. I'm sure it's a blanket statement that encompasses the entire, wretched trip.

"Thank you." I tell him, and when he glances at me and grins, I smile back.

We didn't do anything... Extreme. In fact, we didn't even kiss. Nor did we have sex. We had cold tinned food for dinner, and I slept with my head resting on his chest. More than anything, I think he was cautious of what the day's violence had done to me. I had been too, in truth. I didn't want to look back on the memory and have to remember the rest of it.

I walk in the door with my head lowered, because I'm expecting a wave of anger.

"Nevaeh?!" Ray's voice, raised. I flinch back, but there's no need for that. He's already caught me up in his arms, cradling me close. "Where the fuck have you both been?"

He holds me at arm's-length, and his mouth drops open when he catches sight of my face.

"Who did that to you?" He demands, and his palm is on my cheek.

"Nevaeh?" Gerard gasps, appearing over Ray's shoulder. "Frank! Oh, thank fuck."

Ray passes me off to Gerard, and Mikey rushes straight to Frank. Natalie gets her arms around Gerard and I both, and I'm crushed between the two of them.

"What happened?" Gerard wrenches back, and catches sight of the injures etched into my face. A split lip, a deep graze on the crest of one cheekbone. Grazed knuckles. "Honey, who did that to you?"

His eyes go to Frank, not in accusation, but in assessment.

Pandora arrives, barking and whining and shrieking, and I drop to my knees so she can see that I'm home and okay.

"Would either of you like to explain?" Ray shuts the front door. One hand is on his hip, the other on Frank's shoulder. "Why didn't you come home?" There is no anger from him, just worry.

Alissa has her arms crossed over her chest, and if she was worried, she smothers it now with annoyance. "Trying to play hero again, Nevaeh? Almost get Frank killed too, this time?"

Frank motions with both hands for calm. "She saved my fucking life, actually." His eyes are hard as they flick to Liss, "There was a horde. We ran into a bank and barricaded ourselves in, and had to wait until it was clear."

Natalie is looking between the two of us, eyes narrowed.

"Where was your rifle?" She asks, suspicious. "Why couldn't you fight?"

"It was taken." I reveal, scrubbing at Pandora's neck, hushing her whines.

"By who?" Nat snorts disbelievingly.

"The group of men that attacked us," I look up, and the ghosts of those men are heavy on my shoulders. I slump under their weight. "They took my rifle right before they tried to rape me."