Mending Hands

I direct the bus to the road surrounding the property. I drive the car alone and rush inside as quickly as I can, because the bus is loud and there's already shrieking in the distance. A couple of moments after Mikey lets me inside, bodies slam into the door.

"Let them throw themselves at it." I say, patting Mikey on the shoulder. "They'll be dead in the morning."

We eat dinner, but I have only a small portion. My stomach is in knots, my nerves jittery.

I don't let my worry show; I spend the evening calm, collected. Perhaps a little quiet, but nobody notices. Everyone sticks to their own devices. I read, so does Frank. Ray and Natalie play a game of cards. Gerard is sketching something. Mikey, Mark and Alissa watch a movie.

"We should have an early night," Frank announces when the screen flickers black.

"Why should we?" Mark scoffs, and shifts to pick another movie.

Frank gets in his way, eyes narrowed and immediately furious. He's on his feet. Everyone is surprised at the movement.

"Nevaeh deserves some rest, don't you think?"

Everyone looks at me, sat quietly under the low light of a lamp. Maybe I do look a little drawn, a little weary. I must; everyone shifts quickly enough.

"Oh, honey." Gerard reaches to pat my knee. "Of course you do. Jeez, that was selfish of us."

"No, it's really okay-" I wave him off.

"She said it was okay," Mark shrugs, and reaches again for the pile of DVDs.

Frank doesn't move. "Do you get up every morning and decide to be a bastard, or does it just come naturally?"

The tension squeezes the room like a fist. Ray and Natalie twist to stare. Gerard makes a face. Mikey sighs.

"We're all going to bed." Alissa announces, like it was her idea. "No need to argue."

"I'm going to watch another film." Mark says through gritted teeth. "I'm not tired yet, and I'm sure as shit not doing anything you say."

Frank stares him down, mouth twisted with rage. "Your friend is walking into a fight tomorrow, and you don't even care enough to let her sleep early."

"Frank," I chide, sitting up. "That's dramatic."

"But it's true!" He exclaims, "Doesn't it bother you, Nevaeh? You're putting your life on the fucking line for people who couldn't give a shit!"

If the tension was thick before, it's a physical presence in the room now. It's like Frank's words are a person who is swinging wildly to cause as much damage as possible. I don't know if they hurt anyone else - I know only that they hit me in the chest hard enough to leave a bruise.

Alissa, Mikey and Ray won't look at me. Gerard looks aghast, mouth open in shock. Natalie's face has gone pale, and she swallows woodenly. Mark has gone scarlet, his whole face swelling. Everyone seems to splutter.

"Maybe..." My voice is quiet. "Maybe it is time for bed."

This time, everyone moves. Natalie takes Pandora with her, and I'm glad. They go without much fuss, save for Gerard, who bends low over me and presses a quick but firm kiss to my forehead. It's a sweet gesture, and I know what he's saying.

Frank stands and breathes heavily, eyes on the floor as the room empties.

As soon as the door clicks closed, Frank moves. He rushes from the middle of the room towards me, going to his knees at the edge of the sofa. I'm sat cross-legged, and he reaches to put his hands on my knees. His touch is warm. He's got nice hands, big, with visible veins. I've even gotten used to the tattoos.