Slow Deductions

Alissa comes back looking less shaky and wearing a different shirt. Mike comes in quietly behind her and keeps his distance near the door, sliding into a seat at one of the tables. From the way he's eyeing me, it looks like he intentionally wants a physical barrier between us.

Now that Alissa has become calm, her attitude has returned.

"I knew I shouldn't have come with you." She hisses as a greeting. "I knew it was too dangerous."

"I say that every time one of you wants to join me." I frown.

She brushes this response aside. "When are we going home? I'm tired and I'm sore and I want to be in my own bed."

I scrub a hand over my aching eyes. "We'll wait an hour for the corpses to wander off. Then we can get back to the car."

"I want to go home, now." My insides curl with irritation as she stomps her foot. From the corner of my eye, I see Frank's expression sour.

I snag my rifle and offer it up. "You want to go out there and clear a path? Be my fucking guest."

She looks at the rifle, mouth twisting unhappily. When she turns her gaze on me, her expression descends into fury. "This is all your fault."

"Just like everything," I roll my eyes and lean back into the sofa, stretching my spine. "Get comfy, because we're not going anywhere for the moment."

"For a bit longer than that, surely?" Gerard asks hesitantly. Alissa and I both turn with looks that have him withering. "I just mean... Well, it'll be dark soon."

"So?" Alissa demands.

"So," Frank says, frowning at her. "They're more active at night. You're both tired and one of you is injured. Why risk venturing out after dark?"

"We're not staying here," Alissa scoffs. "There's no way."

Gerard makes a calming gesture with his hands. "You're welcome to stay the night. There's not much room, but we're willing to share it, of course."

Alissa whips round, mouth open with indignation. Her expression warns me against taking up the offer.

But... It's the logical option. I don't know how useful I'd be in a fight right now. The sun is already sinking low on the horizon. And a glance out the windows reveal the corpses have taken to loitering around the bus and the car park. There's a horde between us and the car, and I've only got one arm operational. Plus, it'll spite Alissa. A small victory against her attitude.

I sigh, and Alissa gapes in open disgust.

"I want to go home." She snarls, and her dark eyes are accusatory.

"This is home for the night." My voice is a low warning.

"There's no fucking way-" She starts, fists balled.

My eyes flash to hers, and my fury is much more impressive. "There is no debate. We're staying here."

Her chest inflates, her lip twists. But without me, she's not getting home at all. When she realises this, her expression shutters. "Fine." She snaps, and just to annoy me; "I'm hungry."

This makes Gerard wince. "We've got very little. The guys were out looking for food when I guess they ran into trouble." He gives me a smile. "Or, well. Ran into you."

"Same thing." Frank mutters, crossing his arms over his chest and slumping back on the sofa.

I let that one slide, because he's not exactly wrong. I look around at the group. Really look.