chapter seven

Sorry for not updating for so long! Hope you like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recap:

Mavis grinned as she whispered in my ear, "What you did was right. Laxus deserved that knock to the head." I blushed in embarrassment, so she had seen me.

She turned to the crowd and the three previously brawling boys. "You three boys, to the nurse right away. The rest of you, go to class. I'll let you off the hook this time. Lucy, come with me. Now go!"

The people jumped and then left to their designated areas.

"M-Mavis? Where are we going?" I asked, fixing my wrinkled shirt. I still need to get used to me calling her name.

Mavis sighed, turning serious. She then faced me. "Lucy, we need to talk."

Just the five words that I need right now.

Perfect.

Just perfect.

Lucy's POV

Mavis turned to me. She smiled sweetly. "I'm proud of you, Lucy."

H-huh?!

She motioned for me to follow her once she saw my confused face.

I followed her into the school garden. I sat on a stone bench and tried to listen to M-Mavis. Ugh, the name was driving me insane.

M-Mavis was pretty young for a principal. Her brains made up for her age, though. She was smarter than all the teachers together, and that's extraordinary for a sixteen-year-old. She had skipped a couple of grades, and had finished school early. She graduated with a masters degree in many subjects.

Mavis's green eyes glittered as they watered, staring at some nearby petunias. I was flummoxed.

"I-I know how it feels," she started in a small voice. I had to lean in to hear her correctly.

"Pardon?" I responded, confused as ever. (A/N: AYEEE WHERE THEM ARMYs AT)

"I know how it feels to be pushed away be the people who you love," She continued.

I gaped like a fish, utterly perplexed. Who would dare to break her heart?

She faced me. Then, she blinked away the tears and put on an upbeat smile. "You have guts, Lucy. I'm proud of you."

"B-but I didn't do anything!" I protested.

She shook her head slowly. "Lucy, you get bullied every day. Your childhood friend Natsu pushes you away for who you are. You're the topic of gossip. Everyone doesn't accept you for who you are, and I hate that." She gripped my shoulders. "Lucy, people don't like tomboys. People don't like unique people." She looked into my eyes.

My eyes dilated.

"People don't like you because you are unique."

Then, it actually hit me. All the things that happened since the beginning of the year happened, all because I wasn't like everyone else. It really was dumb; the fact that everyone hates people who are different disgusts me. And the sad thing is, everyone meets the expectations of "normal" except me. So I'm the punching bag.

Mavis understood my sorrow and entrapped me in a hug. She started murmuring words through my hair. "Honestly, lot of problems in the world would disappear if we talk to each other instead of about each other."

She turned to me, releasing me from the hug, realizing she had somehow successfully comforted me.

"B-but why?" I managed to force out, my voice breaking through the now-formed lump in my throat. "Why? Why don't they like people who are different? It's not like we did anything wrong!"

Mavis looked down, her eyes softening once. "Because they are afraid."

I looked up at her. "Afraid?"

She nodded. "Afraid," she started. "Afraid for themselves. They are afraid that one day, they will be left in the dust, forgotten. They are afraid that they will be drowned out by the cries of your soul. They are afraid of the cries of your kind-hearted soul, calling out for another soul that will accept them for who they are, just like that."

My eyes were comparable to golf balls as I looked down, clutching my shirt where my heart was. I reminisced the times that I had felt like that. The times that I called out, desperate for someone to like me, even love me, for who I am.

Mavis continued talking. "They want to make that fear impossible, irrational, unthinkable. So, they eliminate the good souls, the desperate souls, the unique souls. They covert them into souls just like theirs, the souls that are 'normal', the souls that are free of any other ingredients that seem troublesome."

I realized where Mavis was going with this talk.

Once again, her eyes focused on mine as she delivered the words that I has wanted to hear for such a long time.

"Sometimes your light shines so bright that it blinds people from seeing who you really are. Being different isn't a bad thing, it means that you're brave enough to be yourself. Nice days and nice people are fine, but what I really like are people who can be described as ferocious. Lightning storms and loud, booming thunder. People who don't apologize for being unique. You cannot be all things to all people. Be unique. Be different. Give to others what you want yourself. And do what you were made to do."

As she said every word, my heart grew warmer. I shed the tears that had been building up inside me all this time. They trickled down my face occasionally as raindrops would trickle down a car's window.

She continued. "Being called weird is like being called limited edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often. Remember that."

She stood up and patted my shoulder. As she started walking off, long blonde hair swaying in the breeze, she continued speaking.

"Be that good, desperate, unique soul. The cries of your good, kind-hearted soul, calling out for another soul that will accept you for who they are will soon call out to someone like you. Someone who loves you for who you are, noting less, nothing more. Have patience."

As she neared the shrubs leading to the end of the garden, she turned around and gave a soft smile, calling out to me softly in a barely audible voice.

"I know how it feels like."

And with that, she rounded the corner, disappearing into the nice day.

Did I make anyone cry? Thanks for all the support!

RS9411