Chapter 10

"Nothing's wrong with you, Dan," Phil said as we locked eyes.

It had been a while since I last looked at him, and even longer since I said anything. I was too overwhelmed with my thoughts. He changed me. Why him? Why was I different?

I knew that's exactly what he was referring to.

"Maybe not," I replied turning my head to look elsewhere, "but that doesn't mean that I'm completely okay either."

"There's a reason why," he mumbled, and I could hear him as he stood up from his bed. My eyes were shut as my head rested against the wall. I have the worst luck.

"Then tell me," I felt the mattress dip down as he sat at the bottom edge of bed, tapping his fingers along the frame. I opened my eyes and focused my attention back on him.

He looked tired. He glanced my way and I could tell that he was definitely worried.

"In the past I may have taken up for Allana more than I should. She means well, it's just although she wants to protect and keep others safe, but she's also willing to put other's lives danger in order to save more lives. If it meant killing just one of us to save all of us, she would."

"What's that have to do with me?"

"As you've been informed, you're the first at our school to have been changed by anyone but Allana. When I brought you here to her she asked me to try something new, she wanted to see if it was possible for me to turn you without complications."

"I was an experiment?" I inquired in realization. She didn't care that I could've died. That doesn't surprise me,  and after all who knows how many innocents have died because of her.

"Yes, but you have to believe me, Dan. If I had known the whole truth of it in the first place I never would have risked your life like that. If Peej or Chris were to ever find out, they'd kill me."

"I guess I can't blame this on you, but no way in hell am I ever going to trust her again."

"I think that's a good idea. But now that she knows you and Maggi are the prophecy siblings, she needs you alive. She'll do anything to keep you two in specific safe."

"Well I'm here, for now. I'm not sure what good I'll do in the war but I'll try my best."

"You doubt yourself too much, what I wouldn't give for your power."

"You'd use it to duplicate Chris's ability and get yourself a girl?" I laughed trying to ease up on the seriousness in the room.

"Yeah okay," he replied sarcastically, "I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with a girl."

"Well I mean, I have some idea-"

"Actually shut up," he laughed covering my mouth before I had the chance to finish.

It happened again. It was different this time. I could hear his thoughts. It was the first time we had properly met; it seems like so long ago.

I could see myself staring at him. I was so frightened yet I could help but stare, and I never noticed till now but Phil had done the same. He thought I was pretty cute for just a fledgling. When I later that day had fainted Phil thought about how peaceful I looked when I slept, he was so fond of how I softly snored while sleeping. And he knew I'd wake up soon and it would be creepy for me to catch him like that but he still continued to watch.

I snapped out of the vision and Phil was exactly how he was before except I had a feeling he knew what I had seen.

"You know I'm not into girls really," he said letting his hand that was across my mouth fall, now sitting up right on the bed. Maybe he didn't know after all.

"Really?" I wondered aloud watching him.

"I know what you saw, Dan," yeah I was right, of course he would know. I wonder what he saw the last time it happened, or if he had seen anything at all.

"Yeah about that, I-"

"You unintentionally showed me how you felt then as well," he explained, "the ability works both ways."

"Oh," I said probably not so coherently. He was still close in front of me staring straight into my eyes.

"Do you really think you could swim in my eyes?" he leaned in even closer towards me with a smirk, probably recalling my thoughts just moments after meeting him.

I blushed, and instead of avoiding his eye contact like before, I looked straight at him.

"Please tell Peej to stop using that stupid gift of his. He made me feel happy about a guy in potion's class spilling frog juice on my pants," Chris yelled bursting through the door walking straight towards the empty bed.

Before I had the chance to realize the current situation literally walking through the door. Phil had quickly move to the very bottom of  bed, the furthest away from me, and picked up a near by book.

"You were going to yell," PJ defended following in his steps, "I want to get on with class."

"There's a potions class?" I wondered curiously. I didn't know about that. I guess I was focused more of the history.

"Yeah, it's mainly for healing and that sorts. Today we were going over bringing the frogs back to life," PJ answered.

Phil cleared his throat and tossed the book down on the bed, "thanks for knocking guys."

I had actually thought about saying that. Out of all the times, they chose now to just walk in. I guess that's a good thing; as close as Phil and I have become, I still don't know much about him. I'm not even sure what his last name is.

"If you wanted privacy, you should really lock the door," Chris suggested.

"Sorry if I thought a closed door meant knock before entering."

"What would you guys be doing to need privacy anyway?" Peej asked raising an eyebrow.

"Relax PJ," I replied, "He was helping me study. I obviously know nothing about this place."

"What else would we be doing?

Peej is my best friend, there's a large chance that he can see right through our excuses. Anyway it's not really lying. I mean I had been studying before.

"I just thought- never mind."