Chapter 48 - Hard Desicions

Chapter 48 – Hard Desicions

“Daddy, when my baby sister comes out, love niyo parin ako ni Mommy po diba?”

“Of course. Bakit hindi? Ikaw ang favorite ni Daddy eh.” I pulled the comforter up to Ian’s chin. Rein and I watched him as he fell asleep peacefully. Before we left him, we both planted a soft kiss in his forehead.

Rein and I proceeded to the pool side and lay down the outdoor chaise lounge. I wrapped my arm around her and she rested her head in my shoulder. This has been our hobby after we found out she was pregnant; everynight, after Ian falls asleep, we would just stare at the stars until she becomes sleepy.

“I can’t believe I didn’t know that I was already five months pregnant with our second angel.” She smiled sweetly and held my hand.

I felt my heart clench. We’ve talked about this before. Almost all of her family and I didn’t want to continue her pregnancy pero ayaw niya talaga pumayag. She really wanted the baby.  “Blake… we’ve talked  about this before. Why can’t you at least be happy? The baby’s your own flesh and blood and I’m just your wife.”

“I’m happy.” I brushed her cheeks with the back of my hand. “But I’ll be most happy when we both see Ian grow up. Rein, Ian’s enough for me but if you really want another baby, we could adopt.”

“Would you please stop being negative?! You are not going to lose me or our baby!” Without any warning, Rein stood up and walked away. I followed her but she slammed and locked the door before I even stepped inside our bedroom.

I just sighed and decided to go to the kitchen to drink some whiskey to at least to calm myself. It’s always been like this when we talk about her pregnancy. It would be too much for the both of us to take and we would end up sleeping in separate rooms.

Pagkababa ko sa kitchen, nagulat ako to see Georgie who has already opened my the bottle of my new Bourbon whiskey. She raised her glass when she saw me and smiled. “Another dramatic evening?”

“I can’t believe you opened my new whiskey without asking permission. Kanina ka pa dito?”

“I know you wouldn’t mind.” She shrugged and gave me one of her signature smiles. “Heard the whole thing. The same as always. You’ll both get over it by tomorrow.”

“Since you heard the whole thing, what’s your opinion?” One thing I’ve always liked about Georgie is her honesty. She doesn’t lie and she just feels free to let people see who she really is.

“My opinion??” She handed me a glass and filled it with the whiskey. “I think you should fight for her. Like hello, Blake? Nagsayang na kayo parehas ng anim na taon. Your family’s already whole. May mommy, daddy, and baby. Enough na yun. You don’t need two children to be happy, you need to be complete. If I were you, I’d fight for Rein and I’ll never let go of her again.”

“You really think we should give the baby up?” I asked her again.

“People in the U.S. who have the same condition as Rein’s gave up the child to save the mother’s life. You have Ian, he’s enough.” She placed her hand on top of mine. “And ano ka ba? Sa tingin mo ba hindi niyo pa time para sumaya? Ang dami-dami niyong ng sinacrifice. I think you deserve to be a happy family.”

We both raised our glasses and smiled while our glasses clinked. She drank the whiskey straight while I took time in examining it. Once she’s finished, I poured the amber liquid into my mouth and closed my eyes as I felt the heat of the liquid down my throat. This is so good…