Chapter 38 - In the Way

Sara O'Duinn, Grimoire Entry, 15th November, 2008 - I opened my eyes forcing their sealed state away. Lorelle was there with me disoriented and too weak to leave my body. Weary of my fight back to consciousness with a strong singular purpose she could no longer deny. I gasped for air as if it were my first breath. My vision was cloudy at best. Scanning the room, I saw sleeping people who were somehow familiar. I connected with the only pair of eyes staring back at me.

"Sara?"

A pool of collected saliva choked my efforts to speak. A dark haired woman walked over to me with a washcloth. She looked familiar but I wasn't sure if she meant me harm. I moved back from her in the bed.

"Sara, it's okay. I won't hurt you. Do you remember me?"

A woman with small scatterings of gray in her dark brown hair came into focus. The sight of her became comforting. I slowly recognized she was Claire O'Duinn, my mother. Claire moved the hair to the side of my face; her eyes spoke volumes to me before she said a word.

"Mom?"

"Yes that's right, I'm your Mom."

"Where are we?"

"You are at home. You have been here for almost a month. This is the first time you have spoken since you were brought here. Our family is all here and we have been so worried. I'm so glad you are back, Sara."

"There is a reason I'm here. But I can't remember why. I need to remember why...now."

"You need to rest. Don't push it. It will come back to you."

My last conscious moment came back in a rush of shame. It was as frustrating to me as when it happened. Lorelle watched with me as Sorin assaulted me with a concentrated psychic malevolence she would never have dreamed he was capable of. The veracity of his attack on me was such that even Lorelle his maker couldn't justify it. She too began to believe it was just, my wish for his destruction should come to pass. His descent into evil from the power of the Psyon had come full circle. I could do nothing but try to neutralize him and protect myself. I also recalled who else he meant to harm.

"Tasha? Who is she?"

"She is your best friend."

"Tasha is why I'm here. I was trying to protect her."

"What? Okay, maybe you need to lie back now and calm down."

"No. Where is Tasha now?"

"I don't know, maybe at home."

"We need to just go."

"Sara, you are recovering from a serious attack. Most of us wouldn't have the strength to be speaking so soon. I'm so glad you came back to us," she said tears welling into her eyes. They streamed down to pool in the smile lines of her face.

"Mother, we need to find Tasha and perform the ritual. With her help, I know we can--"

"--Sara, I have something to tell you. I wish I didn't have to tell you now."

"What mother, what is it?"

"Tasha is lost to us."

"No Mother, you don't understand. She will never be what he is. He wants her soul for this reason. I saw his mind. I know what he plans. We have to go to her and help. He has never had to face more than one of us at one time. If we stand together and help her fight she has a chance against him."