Chapter 16 - O'Duinn Rites of Protection

Sara O'Duinn, Grimoire Entry, 26th October, 2008 - Tasha drove away followed by a cloud of white road dust. All around me was the darkness I felt since she came by with the walking canes. It was insidious yet in some way familiar. A chill washed over me when I saw the glint from the crystal of the walking cane. It occurred to me I'd probably taken on another haunted object to my collection. The presence within the walking cane was malevolent and not welcome. I had cleansed many objects in the past. When the natural darkness of night arrived, I would cleanse my home of this silent invader.

In the Celtic tradition passed down by the family O'Duinn, I cast the sacred circle. Holding the athame high, a sense of calm returned to me as I called each guardian of the watchtowers.

"Great and mighty ruler of the North lands, protect the gates of the North. Come, I summon you."

A red glowing mist drifted into the room.

"Great and mighty ruler of the East lands, protect the gates of the East. Come, I summon you." I recited, continuing to scatter salt of the earth in my circle.

The presence manifested too late. The mist was held just outside of my circle. I motioned the incense three times in the circle. The incense burner became white hot in my hands. I had no choice but to drop it to the floor. I continued casting the circle.

"Great and mighty ruler of the South lands, protect the gates of the South. Come, I summon you," I said, moving to stand at the south point of the circle with a white candle in hand. With each protection of the watchtowers the mist was present but couldn't enter the circle.

"Great and mighty ruler of the West lands, protect the gates of the West. Come, I summon you."

I released three drops of water in a succession of three to the ground in the circle. The mist at once rose and formed a wall from midair to the ceiling and then dissipated. Determined, I ended the casting of the circle.

"Anu, Amanentia, Arravogue, Ambisigru, Come I summon you. As I will so mote it be!"

With the protection of the circle cast, I began the cleansing of my home. I stood completely still at my altar. The house was closed to the outside but I could still hear an incessant whispering which sought to break my concentration. Fighting to still my mind, I focused on lighting nine white candles to guide the Goddess to my home. The mirrored candelabras flickered and added more light to the room.

I picked up the mirror and focused it on the other side of the room. "Lunar light protect my home!" I commanded as the candles across the room lit in unison. The presence was strong, but couldn't continue to invade my home.

"I'm protected in my home! Do you hear? You will leave me now! Great Goddess of mystic night, within this place of candles bright, and with my mirror nigh, we banish your presence and cast you into the light. As I will, so mote it be!"

At the end of the last incantation, I raised my hands and the candles burned brightly as if they were infused with gasoline. It was a good sign the presence had left. It left only because its curiosity had been satiated. It by no means left willingly, and I knew it was probably not the last time I would sense it just beyond the borders of my power. The confrontation reminded me that the rest of the canes were probably still in Tasha's possession. I returned to my altar and retrieved the athame. I pointed it towards the direction of Tasha's home.

"Souls of evil, unwanted presence, Be gone, leave us, leave the place where you now dwell, Leave that the Goddess may enter, Go or be cast into the outer darkness, go or be drowned by the watery abyss, go or be burned in the flames, by the power of the Goddess, we banish you, we banish you, we banish you. As I will, so mote it be!"

The dagger, pointed away from my body turned on me. With all my strength, I fought its journey to just beneath my chin pressing further with every moment into my neck.

In my head, I heard a deep male voice speaking to me and knew that I should listen to know how to continue to fight.

"Lowly Witch, you have crossed the line. I will have you know, I rather like the outer darkness-- You have no idea the difficulty of closing this door."

The hold on my strength disappeared and the athame dropped to the ground at my feet. I was rattled by the unexpected confrontation; more important was to contact Tasha about the rest of those canes. I looked at the clock. The time flew while I was performing the ritual. Knowing her, my call would go straight to voice mail. And it did.

So I banged out a message in instant messenger instead. Tasha, please call or message me. It's about those walking canes from today.

No answer.

Talk to you soon. Sara. I closed the message and wished she were there.

At least she'd get the instant message in the morning when she went online before work. I knew if anything, she was a creature of habit.