Chapter 4 - Lorelle The Messenger

Her life as a human no more, she remained as the essence of Lorelle; the first woman to be a Child of Psyon. Her creation, the fault of absolute power coupled with the desire of a twisted mind. They hunted her because of the introduction of empathy and compassion to their house. They feared these emotions would spread from Lorelle to their population in the warrior class.

She was more than surprised to find guardians among them. They led her to a Templar Knight they coveted. Potential male Psyon were offered the bargain after a courageous fight in battle. The end of their lives looming, most would accept without question. His destiny entwined in secret with another, he proved more of a challenge. They sent her as a messenger when all else seemed lost to him. Their deceit emerged again, once she was successful in delivering their prize; a chosen successor in Psyon for Lord William of Wyckham. The final judgment at hand, they welcomed Sorin's soul and abandoned Lorelle's.

To escape, she entered the shadow realm of the human dead. The thought of hiding within a wandering corpse for even a moment sickened her. She caught the silent grace of a feline moving below as her essence rose in flight. Lorelle evaded the Psyon at the cost of leaving forever the shell of her body.

Inhabiting an animal was a collaboration of sorts. She could stay in them indefinitely. Domestic animals were many in the aristocracy and close to humans. They doted on the animals she lived within remarking on the intelligent qualities their pets displayed. Soon, they became very attached to their animal. She remained close to them, feeding on the humans daily. She could take over a human only for short bursts in time. They took more effort because she must quiet their conscious mind so they would not fight.

She hid from the Psyon council's judgment for centuries, moving from animals to humans if she felt threatened. Although she wondered often if they no longer pursued her; she never made another Psyon feeding from within an animal.

Centuries passed like fleeting whispers seldom heard through the fabric of time. She lived and fed on human souls as a forgotten and exiled Psyon. Existing on the outskirts of their influence afforded her an unusual connection to the insight of their ways. She learned much of them, which was fortunate for her survival. It was her responsibility to pass these on to the fledgling she created, if she could have sensed him for a moment. It was the only time Lorelle missed her human form.

They spread to all corners of the earth with a human population. The Psyon numbers were not large but enough for their comfort. There would be only two or three in a small village. Many more could survive in a large city. They sensed their brethren and sought to stay out of their way. It was a solitary life, though they existed very well in proximity of one another. They moved around freely, choosing to stay or go as they pleased. They watched humans multiply, sometimes taking more if the population allowed.

The will of the Psyon was something humans sensed when they were visible. They could very easily become accustomed to and crave this reaction. It was very much like a human felt in achieving some sort of fame. Humankind was drawn to them not knowing why. Maybe it was because Psyon knew of a purpose to their existence. It was something humans above all would like to know. The answer was so simple the Psyon sometimes wondered how it so easily escaped mankind.

Vampires were not native to this world. Their creation was a mistake in life span altering attempts in another time and place far from here. The laws governing their creators would not allow the destruction of this new mutated race. Instead, they were considered an unfortunate deviate to be banished. The primitive infancy of our world was chosen as the time and place where they would most likely perish. With their tendencies toward secrecy, the vampires in their predatory nature thrived. Humans became nothing more than a constant food source to be culled and maintained.