Chapter 23 - From the Ashes

"Good god, Kate. What do I have to do? Get a restraining order?" Nori said after the bells on the door signaled Kate's entry into the antique store.

"Don't pretend you don't know why I'm here, Nori. Give me the book," Kate said walking up to the counter and extending her hand.

"And I won't press charges against you for breaking, entering and theft," Kate informed him.

"Haven't you found out how dangerous it is? Why didn't you just destroy the book? I really wish you had."

"Then you still have it?" Kate asked.

Nori took a deep breath.

"It's in a safety deposit box in the back. I really tried to...but I couldn't destroy it. I had to find out about him the bastard. Look, you've got to stop coming here. I can't talk here. I've pretty much been under surveillance since it happened."

Kate couldn't believe her luck or her insight into Nori. He did want to talk and she would jump on it.

"Come to my house tonight with the book. There is someone you need to meet," Kate said.

Nori looked down shaking his head.

"I'd rather not go there Kate."

"Did you really think it would end with your friends? Just come over with the book and I promise you'll never see me again," Kate pleaded.

"I can't tonight, but rest assured, you'll get the book back. I don't want anything else to do with this. "

Kate left the antique store and got into her car with the relief of knowing the book was safe and sound. Her comfort was all too brief when Kate remembered she had more damage control to do. Something she'd read from the grimoire about companions took over her mind. In a panic, she checked her watch. It was almost time for Tess to be home from school. She wondered with everything going on at home if Tess had even gone to school. She hit the gas pedal, speeding towards home.

Kate ran into the house, up the stairs and flung the door to Tess's bedroom open. She was sitting on her bed surrounded by books and alone.

"Where's Daniel?" Kate said out of breath.

"I don't know, Mom. I think he's in the guest room. Why?" Tess asked.

"Did you go to school today?" Kate drilled.

"Yeah, I had tests today. It was really hard with everything going on but I did it anyway," Tess said.

Kate sighed with relief and sat on the bed next to Tess.

"We've got to talk. Why did you bring Daniel here?

Tess's face lit up when she thought about Daniel even before she spoke. Kate's heart sunk. It confirmed her worst suspicions. Kate took Tess's hand to relieve some of the severity of what she had to tell her. Even though she knew it wouldn't help. First love was so powerful. It was all consuming in its moment. She knew this would be the hardest thing she would ever have to tell Tess.

"You can't ever be with him, Tess," Kate said.

"Just because he's different---" Tess began.

Kate interrupted with Tess's blatant understatement of the facts.

"--No, Tess you don't understand. There is still so much you don't know about them. There is still a lot I don't know. But there is one really important thing I have to tell you," Kate squeezed her hand when she saw the tears of frustration flood Tess's eyes.