Chapter 7 - Tess Hartley

Tess couldn't believe the school nurse, Becky Williamson, wouldn't cut her any slack today, of all days.

"Tess, I helped you out the last time two times you came to my office...I absolutely can't do it again. Go back to class."

"Come on, it's even worse today. My head is throbbing so much I can't concentrate and the light burns my eyes. I can't go to class. If I can't go home, can I at least lay down on your couch in the dark? That's what I do at home. It really helps."

Becky's expression softened.

"Okay, I can give you a couple of hours, but that's it."

Tess settled into the leather couch in the school nurses office while it creaked with sounds making her flinch when they cut right into her brain. Pain from the migraine made her even more aware of how cold it was in there and the bitch hadn't even offered her a blanket. She wondered if there would ever be a time in her life when she wasn't restricted by the stupid rules of adults. When she could be herself and do exactly what she wanted to. She felt as if no one really knew her or cared to in this crappy new town she had to live in. Maybe it would be better if she just disappeared. Then there would be no pressure from anyone to deal with, no rules and nothing to do but take care of herself. Tess knew she could do just that if she had the chance. The muffled echoes from the school outside the door wafted away on the disinfectant scent of the room as she concentrated on nothing but the dark, nothing but the silence she wanted so much to hear. She closed her eyes to dream about it again, what it would be like, being completely on her own and living life only on her terms.

Tess heard a voice speaking, crisp as if someone was talking right into her ear.

"If you really want to go, I'm probably the only one who can help you."

Tess sat up straight on the couch in the dark. She couldn't see anyone or anything in the room. She lay back down with a plop

on the leather and closed her eyes again slowly hoping what just happened really hadn't.

"You can't see me with your eyes, yet. Keep them closed and I might let you, see."

"Oh yeah, right...Now I get to go bat shit crazy? Awesome. My life just keeps getting better and better. What the fuck, bring it on."

'"You aren't crazy; in fact you are less crazy than anyone around you. You have migraines because deep down you know there is much more to life than what you see and what they tell you. I can show you how right you are, if you want me to."

"I want to see you now."

"To see me, you have to pass one test."

"Crap, I hate tests."

"I know, but this one is easy for you. See a triangle in your mind."

Tess saw it right away. She made a big red triangle.

"Great, only it can't be red. It's still too dark in here. Make it white. Then light it up so you can see me."

Tess saw the triangle turn to white and light up the expanse of her mind. In the distance, a tall young man walked toward her. He had wisps of straight jet black hair framing eyes of a deep and calm cobalt blue. The contrast of his flawless ivory skin and his dark blue eyes were beautiful to Tess. He ducked under her triangle with a smile and walked to her taking her hands in his. Instantly the mind numbing pain of her migraine dissipated.

"Perfect, see told you it was easy."

"Now what?"

"I can show you what life is really like for someone like me. My mind is open and powerful because of it. You can go with me without leaving this room."