Chapter 18 - Legacy

Sara O'Duinn, Grimoire Entry, 30th October, 2008 - Sorin wasn't far from Tasha's mind since entering her dreams. On the eve of their meeting, her thoughts drifted to him in my midst. He thought human attachments usually became a problem. This one though, was particularly bothersome to him because it was a connection with the family O'Duinn. Why did he cross our path at least once a century? My family had knowledge of the Children of Psyon. We multiplied and spread through the world like rabbits or he would have put a swift end to our line long ago. A gold pocket watch on the bed with his other belongings reflected the light from the window onto the wall reminding Sorin of the last O'Duinn who pursued him.

The place was New York City. The time was just after the turn of the century. Sorin was enamored of New York and the sheer numbers he could feed on at any time of the night. Dr. Christopher O'Duinn was a psychiatrist who slaved away in the hell hole that was the Fairview Public Asylum. The doctor discovered among his patients a rising rate of catatonia. He was experimenting with a therapy called past life regression. When his recovering patients were in a regressed state, he was able to retrieve their memories of Psyon attacks. He was about to publish his findings, which to most in the scientific community would have been laughable at best. It was a risk Sorin was not willing to take, however. He decided to pay him a visit. Sorin entered the regression study and met with the psychiatrist.

"Mr. uh...Artis Miller you said?" said the doctor.

Immigrants were looked upon as a lesser lot. The old world name of Sorin Ladislov tended to illicit suspicion. He used a more Americanized name in those days. Everyone hiding from something in New York did.

"Yes, Doctor," Sorin replied, his inner smirk begging to emerge.

"Very good, I want you to picture the place you long for the most, the place you would return to if you had the chance," he said in a calm measured voice. "Drifting-- drifting there now with ease. Are you in this place?"

"Yes," he replied.

"Who am I speaking to now?" O'Duinn questioned.

"Artis Miller," he replied.

O'Duinn took a deep breath rolling his eyes.

"Artis, now I would like you to drift away from this life. Drifting away from your body...drifting. You are now away from this life, traveling...moving closer to a time before."

"Yes," he replied.

He leaned into Sorin to stab him with a straight pin evaluating his hypnotic response. He didn't move or flinch.

"Who is here now? What is your name?

"Artis Miller," he replied.

He adjusted himself in his chair leaning over Sorin with a renewed interest.

"Describe your dress and what do you see around you Artis?"

"I am wearing sackcloth britches and a shirt made of the same, the clothing of a prisoner. A mob of people, they surround my Genevieve. She is bound to a stake with a fire beneath. There are too many, I do not know how to save her," Sorin replied.

"You are far from her now...you feel nothing, but can see everything in a haze around you. Can you tell me what year this is Artis?" he questioned, his interest rising.

"1307," Sorin replied with one eye a miniscule slit open to view his response.

"Not possible," he replied under his breath. "Artis I want you to leave this place now. You will remain in this life and drift to a time later in this same existence. Do you understand?" he commanded, his voice shaky with anticipation.