Chapter 34 - Possession

Sara O'Duinn, Grimoire Entry, 13th November, 2008 - From the perspective of the feline, Alex, Lorelle saw infinitely more of the local woodland than she wanted. She knew it was often a condition of directing a feline. Even in the most intelligent such as Alex, she could still only hope her request of him to find me was being met. It could be no more than his daily rounds as cats do as they please, their interests do not lie with pleasing anyone else. Not to mention that he could have refused the request all together in confusion. He was more apt to remember what color my scent was than a human name.

At last she saw a clearing and a welcome change of scenery. A richly layered blend of rare flowering plants and herbs swayed gently in the breeze as they made their way to a small cottage. Lorelle thought it was a good sign signaling the environs of a witch. Alex entered the home unnoticed when the door was slightly ajar and people filtered in and out. They were visiting someone. A family was gathered in crisis. Through the whispers of their low toned conversation, Lorelle heard mention of the name she had hoped to hear. Alex slipped down a hallway to the most quiet of the rooms. There, she saw through him another cat, a gray female with large emerald eyes, perched atop the bed of a loved one. She mewed a distressed greeting to him. He walked to her with a sympathetic rub of his face to her whiskers. Lorelle entered the gray cat while she and Alex curled up next to the human form in the bed.

The gray cat purred as a hand weakly brushed the fur at the back of its neck. She entered the body attached to this hand at once.

Sorin underestimated my mind. It took most of his effort, the frequent attacks to keep me away from Tasha. I could hear the conversations of my family and friends but couldn't respond to them. I was weak the effort to keep myself alive while also fighting my way back to humanity. His presence wasn't far since I defied him, releasing to Tasha visions of him.

Lorelle's heart felt as if it had dropped to the ground when she saw Sorin for the first time in centuries through the mist of my mind. She thought he far was more beautiful than she remembered. Even then, beaten and covered in a mixture of blood and the musty dirt from his jail cell, he captivated her. He appeared to her with his long shining hair of black and eyes glowing with the force of preternatural anger. Though Lorelle wished above all to alert him to her presence inside of me, she couldn't bring herself to. He was overtaken with the fury over his brief loss of control. His head tilted down, dark eyes seething and fists clenched he walked with vicious purpose seeking the quickest route to me through the fog of my mind. His mind spoke to me with a rage Lorelle thought unbecoming of Sorin.

"You are no more skilled than I expected-- only more devious in your methods. Even with Tasha near you, keeping vigil--Know this, you will not reach her again."

"I will continue as long as there is breath left in my body." I replied.

"Why do you persist in intervening on her behalf? She does not want your help. She waits for me, longing for what she is to become...I have no wish to harm you, Sara O'Duinn."

I heard bells begin to sound off one by one. Two female humans dressed in white bustled with hurried activity around me. A triangle of white hot light formed to my mind. I felt my hand touched by another. The faint echo of a voice cut through the thick haze to my consciousness.

"Hang in there Sara, we are here. Keep fighting, sweetheart we'll help you."

My mother and family sensed his attack. I squeezed her hand.

"She squeezed my hand!" Mom shouted. "I know you can hear me now Sara, please baby you have to help us."

The light of the triangle was pulsing and getting brighter with each moment.

"No, No! Sara, baby...you have to help us fight. Don't give up now. Don't go!" My mother pleaded.

Lorelle invoked a calming peace to my mind. It was the kind felt only at the beginning of life. The voices of my family trailed away.

"I love you, Mum. So much...I'm so tired," I explained to my mother's mind.

My mother's voice frantic, answered quickly.

"You've done so much already sweetheart, I know, just a little more."

I felt I should apologize for my weakness, for failing, but the words wouldn't come. "I love you."

I didn't have the heart to tell her. I felt as though I would like to remain asleep forever.

My body calmed and the alarms ceased returning to the sound of my measured repetitive heartbeat. I was in a deep induced coma and with Sorin so close to my mind, Lorelle told me it was time for her to contact Sorin.