03| Demoted and powerless✔️

***
If someone is strong enough
to bring you down,
Show them you are strong enough
to get up again.

***

NOW

I awoke to someone hammering incessantly on my door. "Kiara, wake up and get the pack breakfast. Hurry up, you lazy lump!" One of the pack members screeched. "We're all waiting!"

Of course, that had to be one of Aden's lapdogs.

I slid my legs off my bed— if you could even call it one, and tied up my hair in a bun in haste. Stifling a massive yawn, I took out a worn out tee-shirt and a pair of jeans from the heap lying on the floor.

Clothes washed and ironed. Check.

Pack house cleaned. Check.

Lawn mowed. Check.

I mentally patted my back, satisfied that I had completed all the chores way ahead of time.

It was earlier than usual today. The pack breakfast was at seven so I usually headed for the kitchens at six thirty.

Today, it was only half past five.

Wondering why? Because today, the training began for new batch of sixteen year olds. Once upon a time, I would have been thrilled, but now I was just disappointed.

I sighed as I headed downstairs towards the kitchen. The Alpha had ordered me not to train with the other pack members because they all considered me as a burden, a damn sack of rotten potatoes that you couldn't throw away.

Since that ill fated day three years ago I had lost all my rights and was demoted to an Omega. No shocker there.

Even as I recalled it, my chest constricted.

It was the evening of my father's funeral. The day after the attack.

People were crowded in the cemetery as my father's body was lowered to the ground. Somewhere in the distance, my mother was crying into her handkerchief. Others were paying their last respects.

I sat a long way off. Hidden behind the tree, I listened to the numerous pack members step up to say great things about him.

He was a kind man, I heard some say.

He was always good to his subordinates.

He was brave. Fought valiantly until his last breath. There will never be another Beta like him.

I was so immersed in listening, I didn't hear the Alpha himself step away from the crowd and walk up to me. A familiar scent pervaded my nostrils as he approached me. His son, Aden, followed close behind.

In a single move, he yanked me up by my collar and slammed me against the wall.

Aden gasped. He reached out to pull his father back, but his father didn't budge. Didn't even bat an eye.

"You." Alpha Jason spat at me. His eyes were burning. Venom dripped from every word. "You still have the audacity to be here?"