chapter 30

Colby and I sat there in silence for quite a while. When the silence became deafening he finally spoke.

"Joe I need you to know man, That stuff I said about me being in love with Reagan...I never acted inappropriately.. I didn't"

"I know" I said quietly. The truth of the matter is I did know. Colby was a lot of things, most of them bad. But he was a good friend to me and an even better friend to Rea. He was there for her when I was not.

"I cant even imagine my life without her in it. How am I supposed to make it without her"

Before Colby could try to take a stab at making me feel better the phone rang and we were summoned back to the hospital. Reagan's pressure was spiking again, and Noah's heart rate was dropping. They were both in trouble.

The next couple of hours were a complete haze of gowns, and scrubs, and gloves,. The beeping of machines, the hustle of Dr.'s and nurses rushing past me, no one stopping long enough to tell me what the hell was going on. When everything finally settled down I had a 3lb 9 oz son in an incubator in the neo natal intensive care unit. My wife was still unconscious, and though her blood pressure had stabilized after her C-section, her prognosis was still uncertain.

"You gotta wake up Rea. He's here and he needs his mommy. He is beautiful Rea. He's tiny but the Dr. says he is strong. His lungs are breathing on their own. You were right Rea. He's got a head full of jet black hair. I need you to wake up Rea. I need you"

I stayed there in that room for three more days, leaving only long enough to go feed Noah and squeeze in a shower ever day. The rest of my minutes were spent holding her hand, and talking to her about our son.

"Joe"

I had just drifted off to sleep when I heard a soft voice whisper my name .I glanced over at Reagan to see her moving ever so slightly.

"Baby" I said springing out of the recliner on the other side of the hospital room.

"How long have I been asleep?'

"all together about a week now baby .. God Rea I am so glad you are ok..."

"The baby. I'm sorry I lost our baby"

"Rea, no honey. You didn't lose him. Noah is fine. He was born tiny but he is eating on his own and he has gained 3 oz. He is going to be just fine baby"

"He's ok? You mean we did it?"

"we did"

"Ok someone is ready to finally meet his mommy."

Reagan was checked out by the Dr. after she woke up and her blood pressure was back within normal range. Noah was able to be moved to the regular nursery now and we were finally able to wheel him in to Reagan's room to meet her.

"Oh God Joe he is beautiful," she said choking back her tears as the nurse carefully placed him in her arms.

"He is beautiful because he looks just like you Rea"

"Yeah.. just like me, except for the steel grey eyes, the dark caramel skin and the jet black hair." she was smiling as she said it

"He looks just like I imagined he would."

From that moment on I do not think Reagan let him out of her sight. We were at the hospital a week longer and then they were both healthy enough to go home. Our first night in our home together as a family was one I will never forget.

"Reagan, Reagan come here fast. I broke the baby"

"what do you mean you broke the baby?" she rushed over not knowing whether to laugh at me or be truly panicked.