chapter 22

Reagan's POV

We didn't talk anymore that night. We just held each other. I woke up the next morning with his arms still wrapped tightly around me. It was like he was protecting me. That if he let go I would fall to the ground and shatter into a million pieces. He was probably right. I had just finished putting on my makeup and doing my hair when he walked up behind me in the bathroom. "Good morning" He mumbled in his half sleepy voice that I still found so many kinds of cute.

"Good morning" I responded as I walked by stopping long enough to plant a quick kiss on his lips. "you look beautiful " he responded as I grabbed my keys and my purse off the table by the door. "where are you going?"

"I have to have my levels drawn this morning." "Oh well why didn't you wake me so I could go with you?"

"You looked so adorable and you need your rest. "

"But still baby you shouldn't be alone"

"I'm not going to be alone. Colby is meeting me there. Gotta go. I love you."

The truth of the matter was that I was going to be alone. I had planned all along for Joe to go with me but things just got so weird between us last night. I was completely humiliated about the way I behaved and I had hoped that Joe would never have to see that side of me. If the Dr. delivered more bad news I wasn't sure how I would react and I didn't want to risk breaking down again in front of him. Joe was right about one thing though. I didn't want to be alone. Nikki and John had both taken a hiatus from the company and were on vacation. That left me really with just one option. I decided to make my little white lie the truth and I dialed my phone. "Hey Do... Reagan" I heard him correct himself. "Hey Colby. Sorry to call you at the last minute but I was wondering if you could meet me at the Dr.'s office?" "Sure. where's Joe? I just assumed he was going with you. "

I lied that Joe had some last minute things to take care of before he left but I could sense the disapproval in Colby's tone so I came clean. "Actually I told him you had already planned to take me and that he should just stay home and rest. "

We were now sitting in the Dr's office waiting for him to interpret my lab results. "why would you do that? You and Joe need to be going through these things together."

"I don't know. Colby things between me and Joe are just so strained right now. I am a complete mess. Part of me is ashamed of myself for these episodes I keep having. Then there is another part of me that is pissed off at him for not being here with me. Then when he is here with me I feel all this extra stress like I have to try extra hard to be happy, or that I have to... well you know"

"sex"

I could not believe that I was having this conversation with Colby. "Yeah. Lets just say I have not done a very good job with my wifely duties lately."

Colby just looked at me like he had no idea what to say and I was just praying that he wouldn't say anything. My prayers got answered in the form of the nurse coming out to get me. the Dr. was ready to see me.

Joe had run down to headquarters to take care of a few things and apparently had run into Colby while he was there. When he came home I threw my arms around him and could sense immediately by the way he responded that something was not quite right.

"so your levels have stabilized a little huh?"

"yeah. Isn't it fantastic? I am so relieved. I was so worried after those two meltdowns I had that"

"wait. Two meltdowns?"

"Yes. The one I had last night and then a few days ago with Colby"

"why am I just hearing about this now. Why didn't you tell me? Why the hell didn't Colby tell me?"