chapter 23

I hadn't realized how much resentment I had been harboring towards Joe for not being around every day until he was around everyday. It was like I had been blaming him for choosing his job over me and now I see that I was completely wrong. I did feel bad though because I knew how much he loved wrestling. That just proved all the more how much he loved me. Joe went into full time husband mode. He called the movers and arranged to have our stuff taken to our new home. Once all of that was done he decided to focus all of his attention to the nursery.

"Dammit" I heard his husky Samoan voice yell out from all the way down the hall. I went into the baby's room to see Joe laying in the floor among a pile of parts. "what's the matter baby?" I asked trying to hold back a snicker. He had been back in this room for going on 4 hours now and nothing even close to resembling a crib was forming. "I do not understand it Rea, I can pick up 300 lb men and toss them around but this baby crib is beating my ass."

"well may I suggest you asking a friend for help?"

"If you are telling me you want me to call Colby.." I laughed. I had heard all about his final words to Colby and even though I felt horrible for admitting it, the jealousy was cute.

"No. the friend I had in mind was this guy right here. Joe meet Mr. instruction manual" I teased tossing the tiny booklet at him.

"well smartass Mr. Instruction manual doesn't speak English."

I looked at the pamphlet. He was right. I went to the kitchen to make us some sandwiches and grabbed him a beer and some water for myself. He seemed happy for the break when I returned with the snacks. He took a long drink from his beer bottle and caught me staring at him out of the corner of his eye.

"what?" he asked with that Joe grin on his face that I loved so much. "Nothing. You just have no idea how great if feels to have you home with me."

"I have some idea because it feels great to me too. I missed you so much Rea. "

"I missed you too. I'm just sorry you had to give up your title. I know how much you love your job."

"Not nearly as much as I love you, and I love our son. Wrestling is an important part of my life, yes. but Its not my whole life. You and little to be determined at a later date in there are my life. When things were getting so strained between us I realized that it wasn't worth it. the traveling, the long hours, the jumping through hoops to please the McMahons. None of it was worth it if it caused me to lose you."

"you will never lose me Joe. "

"I was becoming such a paranoid jerk I was actually jealous of Colby". I laughed. I could not believe he actually admitted that to me. He took another really long swig of his beer then his eyes turned really serious. "Rea I have to be really honest with you about something though. Do you remember when you told me that you didn't mind if I slept with another woman?"

OH GOD. My mind had begun racing. Had I actually done it. Had I actually pushed this man I love so much into someone else's bed?

"Nothing you have ever said to me has ever hurt me like that did that day. I didn't know how you could even think for one minute that I would want another woman? And how you could be ok with that"

"I'm not ok with that Joe. not even close to ok. I just wanted you to think I would be ok because if you did it I wanted us to be able to get past it. I know I am not being a good wife right now"

"why. why do you think you aren't being a good wife? Because we aren't screwing like bunnies right now. Don't get me wrong Rea. I love that part of our relationship. I do. But what I missed the most was this right here."

"Me too" I watched him as he finished off his beer and I kissed him on his cheek. "I'm gonna go get you another one. Looks like its going to be a long night"

"you're talking about the crib right?' he asked in his teasing voice. I smiled back at him. I knew he wasn't trying to pressure me into anything.

"am I?'