Chapter 18 ~ Goodbye

Today either Yami leaves, or he doesn't.

  Yugi banged his head on the wall, Grandpa came into the room and stared at him, "What in the world are you doing?"

  "What does it look like Grandpa?" Yugi asked without stopping.

  "You might damage your brain!"

  "And?"

  "This is about Yami isn't it?"

  "Shut up!" Yugi suddenly froze with his eyes wide. He had never, ever told his Grandpa to shut up. "I-Sorry Grandpa, I'm just stressed, that's all, I didn't mean to say that..."

  Grandpa smiled warmly and nodded in understanding, "I understand how you feel, well just relax for now, you'll be alright no matter what happens."

  Yugi smiled and nodded, "Thanks Grandpa."

  Grandpa smiled, and just then the door bell rang. Grandpa smiled, "That must be him." and went to go answer the door. He opened it to find Yami all fancy in a suit and his limo driving off behind him. "We were just talking about you, come in!"

  Yami blinked in suprise, and then nodded politely and walked over to Yugi who was standing by the stairs. Yugi beamed at Yami and greeted, "Hi Yami." Yami only politely nodded. Yugi gave him a worried look, "You're quiet." Yami gave a fake smile and nodded. Yugi scowled, "Why won't you talk?"

  Yami took a deep breath, "Because..." then let out a large sigh and his voice squeaked, "If I talk I'll...start to cry...."

  Yugi stared at him for a moment then without even realizing came up and hugged him. Yami hugged back and buried his head in Yugi's shoulder. Yugi giggled a little, "You kinda sounded like you were going through puberty."

  Yami laughed a little and talked normally, "Well you've got some ways to go before that happens for you."

  Yugi pulled away and shoved Yami playfully. Yami chuckled and grabbed Yugi's hand and they went up to Yugi's room.

  "Well I have some errands to run, won't be back til later!" Grandpa called as they made their way up.

  "Okay!" both boys responded. When they got up to Yugi's room, Yami laid on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. He was a little surprised when Yugi curled up closely next to him. But it made him smile. He blinked away the tears forming in his eyes and heard soft snores coming from Yugi after such a short amount of time. The poor boy must've been up all night.

  Yami smirked, all the things he could do...

  But he wouldn't.

  Yugi looked so cute, like a kitten.

  Yugi woke up, "What are you doing?"

  Without realizing, Yami had been stroking Yugi like a cat. Yami chuckled, "You're so cute." Yugi blushed hard and got up. "Come back kitty!" Yami giggled and chased Yugi around the room.

  Yugi couldn't help but giggle too as they ran around the room, for a while they kept running and laughing and joking. They had no idea how long they had been doing that. When they stopped, Yugi looked at Yami and beamed, "I-"

  Yami was frozen, looking at the clock on the wall and interrupted him without realizing Yugi had begun saying something, "It's time."

  Yugi looked down at his feet...he had finally felt and had enough courage to actually say it...and Yami interrupted. How ironic. Yugi started to break down. Yami held him, and his phone rang and he answered it.

  "Your limo is here." his limo driver said.

  "Alright just wait a minute." Yami said then hung up and put the cellphone back in his pocket and keeled down next to Yugi, "Do you?"

  Yugi stared up at him, all the happy moments spent swam through his mind he opened his mouth and seemed to choke on the words, they just wouldn't come out. 

  Yami waited a few minutes, looking increasingly upset as the time passed and Yugi continued to say nothing. Yami stopped waiting, "It's time for me to go."

  "WAIT!" Yugi shouted, "I...I...." and he couldn't get hiself to say anymore.

  Yami closed his eyes calmly, "I love you."

  Yugi stared up at him, mouth open, but no sound coming out. Yami shook his head then went to door.

  Yami turned around just before he left, "Goodbye..."

  Yugi sat on his bed blankly staring as Yami left. Yugi knew this could be the end. He knew he may never see Yami again. He knew they may get over each other, but the stinging empty feeling inside his heart burned and brought tears to his eyes as he stared at the closed door.

  Yugi decided to get up and walk to the door. He couldn't feel anything as he turned the door knob and wandered down the stairs. He went out the door and next to it outside stood Jaden and Yusei.

  "So you're just gonna get him go?" Yusei asked.

  "We know you loved him." Jaden stated quietly, his arms crossed across his chest. 

  Yugi stared blankly at them.

  "Yami's not crying. Yet look at yourself." Yusei said.

  Yugi shut his eyes tight, "I don't want him to go. I never wanted him to go."

  "Then what are you waiting for?" Jaden said bitterly.

  Yugi looked at him, "What?"

  Yusei shrugged and looked at Yugi, "You still have time, Yami just left for the airport. You can stop him if you hurry."

  Yugi stared for a moment then nodded and ran off to stop Yami from leaving. 'I love you Yami, I love you, I really do!' he said in his mind as he ran, 'I don't want you to go, I never wanted you to go, I'm not just going to let you go! I love you Yami!'

  He waved down a taxi and bounced his legs anxiously in the backseat.

 He reached the airport and ran, pushing through security, not caring how much trouble he would get in. He just wanted to let Yami know how he made him felt, no matter how much it made Yugi's heart throb.

  Yugi looked up, seeing the flight Yami was taking as its status changed from boarding to take off. He cried out as a woman's voice rung through the lobby. He was too late.