Chapter Fifty-Four

Tonight was probably one of the most tedious nights of my whole life, there was so many people here who we used to go to school with and hated me who are now being nice to me  -or at least pretending to- and acting like they were my best friend all those years ago but I can't say anything because I don't want to hurt Marjorie's feelings.

I wish I hadn't agreed to this stupid thing with Mark about not getting drunk because I could do with this right now but at the same time last time Gary's mum saw me I was drunk and I didn't need her being added to the list of people who think I have a problem with drinking.

"How are you doing?" Gary asked when I walked into the kitchen to get a glass of lemonade.

"I don't know how much of this tedious talk I can be doing with, like it's the same bullshit with every person and it's not even like they've grown you can still see the fake in their words and their eyes." I sighed leaning against the table.

"I know, I know. Think about it, I've had this for so many years now at least this is only your first." He laughed.

"Then why do they keep coming to whatever party or gathering that happens?" I asked curious as to why he puts up with it.

"Because my mum can't see their crap and I don't want to taint my mums opinion of anyone just because I think they're fake people." He explained to me.

"I guess that makes sense, at least there's not long of it all left." I said realising it was getting to a time where hopefully most people would be thinking about leaving.

"Do you want me to be with you when you go back out?" He asked. "And think about it, at least this party has been drama free." He said obviously referring to the incident with Chloe at Halloween.

"Yes please and you see the reason for that is because - like the source of most of our problems - there's no crazy ex's here." I laughed and wrapped my arm around his waist. 

"I mean there's still time but up to know it's all going fine."

"And now you jinxed it." I laughed, playfully hitting his stomach.

"I've been wanting to ask you this for quite a while now, I was just wondering why have you suddenly stopped drinking? Was it because of what happened at the restaurant? Because that was me just being an ass and I know now I shouldn't of said anything." He asked.

"No it's nothing to do with that, it's nothing really to be honest, it's just me and Mark have this silly bet going on and basically neither of us can drink." I said pulling away from him slightly so I could look at his face.

"Why exactl- actually I don't want to get involved in any little bet you two have because you're both super competitive and that is definitely not something I want to be a part of." He laughed and then picked up his own drink.

"I am not competitive!" I defended myself.

"Yeah, okay." He scoffed. "Are you sure you don't want a drink though, I mean just smell this wine," he said putting the wine right under my nose. "doesn't it just smell amazing?" He smirked at me.

"What happened to 'I'm not going to get involved.'" I mocked him. "Wait," I said pulling away from him fully, "did he put you up to this? Is he trying to see if I would crack because he knows I have no self control when it comes to you? That little bastard, I swear next time I see him I'm gonna kick his tiny littl-"

"No, no, chill. This is just me teasing you." He laughed. "I think you not drinking is great, I would never try to do anything that would jeopardise  that." He said putting the wine back down and then pulling me towards him.