Chapter Fourteen

I wake up on Christmas Eve. My parents must be home. This was a silly nightmare that I had.
I rushed downstairs and opened my final door of my advent calendar. I rushed to the living room, but they weren't there. And I also didn't hear them in the night, or remember anything after I was told the news if the car crash. I must of fainted.
In the living room, I saw Nathan and Keith.
"Oh, your awake.", said Keith, and ran up towards me to hug me.
"What happened?", I asked him, confused.
"You fainted. You told us about the car crash and started crying. We hugged you and you fainted in our arms. We took you to bed, and you didn't seem to wake up till now."
"So, the crash is real?"
They nodded, slowly.
"I'm so sorry, Clara."
I held onto the coffee table in the middle of the room, trying to catch my breath.
"You okay?", asked Nathan.
"Course I'm not okay! My parents are dead!"
"Now you don't know that."
"This is almost like when Gina had cancer! They're dead! They died! I'm alone again!"
I ran upstairs and slammed my bedroom door shut.
I cried my eyes out and shut myself out for hours. Dad's dying, my foster parents are in danger, everything has gone wrong!
Except...
I switched on my phone and scrolled down my contacts. I dialled Jake's number, and he picked up.
"Hello Clara. Merry Christmas Eve, for you."
I started crying again. I sniffed.
"Hey. What's wrong?"
"Everything! My life is ruined!"
"Slow down! Tell me what's up."
"My parents are in a car crash. And I don't know whether if they're alive or not."
"Oh, I'm so sorry."
"What about Dad? He's dying of this liver disease!"
"What are you talking about? I thought you don't have a Dad except Clyde?"
Whoops. I guess I was too upset. Now what am I going to tell him?
"I think I should come over."
"Yeah. See you in a bit."
I walked over to his house, staring at every car that came past. I wondered which car they crashed into. I sat on the bench in the park a few minutes later, and cried. I watched all of the kids laughing with their parents, making jokes, holding hands and telling them how much they mean to them. How much they love them. I stood up at once and walked off, on the way to Jake's house.
I knocked on the door, my face still damp and stained with tears.
Jake opened, and he drowned me with sympathy when he saw me.
I guess I have to tell him about my real Father later.

We rushed to the ward that my foster parents were in. I went into Clyde's room, and cried when I saw him. He was awake and well, but his face was covered in scratches and his arm was in a sling.
I hugged him tight, like I was about to lose him. He cried in my arms, with mixed emotions.
"Where's Gina?"
He didn't answer. He just looked at me.
"Clyde? Is she alright?"
He sighed, sounding depressed.
"She's in a coma. I don't know what will happen to her."
He started sobbing.
"And I don't know if she will die or survive, or make it out of hospital this Christmas!"
He started crying, long and hard.
"How would I love without her? She was my first love!"
I started crying again, feeling bad for him, and now I might lose Gina. I rushed out, with Jake following me.
"Oh, Clara. I am so sorry."
I ran up to him and cried in his arms.
"There there."
I sobbed and wiped my eyes.
"I want to visit Gina."
"Woah. Easy. I don't think you're ready. "
"What? You won't support me? Do you have any idea how she might be dead?"
"Woah, you don't know that. You're in a state! You can't go in there."
"Shut up. Just because Santa is dying, doesn't mean she should too."
"You're crazy."
I really ruined it now.
"Tell me what's up?"
I sighed. He might not believe me, but it has to be done.
"Santa is my Dad."
"Huh?"
"It's true."
"Are you feeling alright?"
"Course I am. I wouldn't be saying this if this isn't true."
He sighed. I held out the photo of me and him, and the DNA test that one of the eleves did that was pretty legit.
"Woah. This is really legit."
I sobbed.
"You see why I have to visit Gina?"
He didn't answer. He was shaken by what I showed him.
"Because I am losing people piece by piece everyday, because we don't live forever."
I walked off to see Gina.

Gina was surrounded by machines. She was very unconscious and uncomfortable. I started crying. The nurse came in.
"When will she wake up?"
Stupid question.
"I don't know."
We discussed her treatment plan, and later on, I went to Jake's house.
He answered.
"Hey."
"Hi."
We stood there, it was awkward.
"Are you mad at me?"
"No."
"How do you feel?"
He sighed.
"He's your Dad. I'm really sorry that I freaked out. No, I'm not mad."
I sighed, relieved.
Now I need to ask him.
"Do you love me?"
He looked blank.
"Jake, I really like you. I think I'm in love with you."
Jake looked flattered. This may be a good sigh.
"Do you love me?"
He didn't answer.
"Jake?"
He just stood there. Tears started to swim in my eyes.
"You don't, do you?"
He still didn't answer. I started to sob.
"I don't know what I saw in you anyway, Jake! Happy Christmas and never see me again!"
I ran off, whilst Jake called for me. I went home, and chose to forget about him.