Life of Wishes ~ Chapter Eight

“So where do you think we should make our stand against the losers?” Kyle asked cheerfully coming up behind me at school.

“I don’t know. You chose a spot.”

“Okay plants, here we come.” I smiled at the fact that Kyle remembered what I had said to him when we talked about ditching the losers the first time.  

I followed Kyle as he led me to the cafeteria. The one and only time I had eaten in the cafeteria, was when I ate with Kyle and the losers. I preferred to not go into the cafeteria much because of all the snickers people gave me when I sat alone.

We somehow magically found and empty table close to the side of the cafeteria.

We talked aimlessly as we ate. When the losers showed up I was convinced this was all a dream and I hadn’t made up with Kyle yet.

“Can we sit with you?” Michael- I’m 90% sure it was Michael- asked with the rest of the losers behind him.

Kyle looked him right in the face and uttered one word, “No.”

“Then tomorrow, can we eat with you?” Michael asked.

“No.” Kyle didn’t even change his tone. It was like he was on repeat or something.

“Day after?” Michael asked hopefully.

“No.”

“Any day this week?”

“I only ate with you guys until I had a better offer. And look Todd,” wow I was wrong, “I have a better offer.” I suppressed a giggle as all four of their jaws crashed into the ground.

“You much rather eat with your girlfriend you’ve only known a week, then your friends of the last year?” Asked someone else. I’m sure this one was Michael.

Kyle gave me a sideways glance but did not correct Michael. “If you’re my friends, whats my middle name?”

There was some mumbling between the losers. “Alex?” Michael- I mean Todd asked.

“Nope.”

“Does she know?” Michael- the real one asked jabbing a thumb in my direction.

“Of course,” Kyle scoffed. “Why wouldn’t she know Darren?” Man, I was bad with this whole name thing. The first Michael ended up being Todd, and my second guess Daren.

“Then what is it?” The one next to Darren said. I think he’s Steve. My whole Michael guessing thing wasn’t working.

I glanced at Kyle. He shrugged and winked at me. “Leonard.” I said because it had randomly popped into my head.

“Well is it?” Steve demanded of Kyle.

“Yup. Guess she’s the better friend, eh?”

“You’re only saying she’s right because she’s your girlfriend,” the last one, Michael said.

“And how can you find out if it’s the truth or not Steve?” I really sucked at this name thing. The one time I use Steve instead of Michael, and the Steve really is Michael.

“So you’re really going to ditch us now Kyle?” Darren asked.

“Would you guys notice?” Kyle asked.

The losers exchanged looks. “Well, bye then,” Michael asked. He led the group away to their table on the other side of the cafeteria.

“So what is it?” I asked when they were safely out of earshot.

“What is what?” Kyle asked with his mouth full of food which he had just stuffed in.

“You’re middle name.”