Life of Wishes ~ Chapter Nine

After school the next day, Thursday, Alice couldn’t come over again. She had to take a different bus in the opposite direction to babysit her little cousins. 

“Let’s go to the pizza place!” Kyle said suddenly.

“Sure we can do that in my Room,” I said once I had recovered from the slight heart attack he had given me. We were still on the bus home.

“No, I meant let’s actually go to the pizza place, Diego’s. I’ve wanted to go for a while now but you can’t do it in the Rooms. I mean the waiters there are awesome. It’s all run by this one little family and they all have the curly little mustaches, it’s a lot of fun.”

“I don’t know. My parents get home in an hour.”

“You don’t want them knowing about me?” Kyle asked slyly.

“What do I say to them. ‘This is Kyle he spends hours with me in my Room each day.’ Do you know how weird that will sound to them?”

“Okay.” Kyle thought for a moment. “Call them and tell them you’re going to the library. Don’t say who with. They wont care then would they?”

“Good idea.” I fished my phone out of my pocket and left a message on my voicemail at home. My parents didn’t like the fact that I had bought myself a phone a couple years ago but they paid for the plan so they could keep track of me.

We got off the bus a couple stops off my house. We had to walk a block before we hit the pizza place- Diego’s. There were houses all around it, and only two other corner store type shops next to it. 

Diego’s was pretty busy considering it was just after three thirty. But we still managed to snag a table next to the window.

“Watch this,” Kyle said his face lighting up excitedly. A moment later a waiter appeared next to our table.

I swear he looked exactly like Mario. He had the big nose and the same moustache. He was even slightly round like him.

Kyle ordered just a simply ham and pineapple pizza and Mario zipped off.

“Do they all look like that?” I asked Kyle laughing.

“No not all like Mario. But they all have strange mustaches and they all look cartoon.

“Okay, you first,” Kyle said ten minutes later when Mario placed the pizza down before me. It looked like a regular old pizza.

“Um, sure,” I said shyly. I peeled the smallest slice of pizza away from the others. Kyle watched me expectantly. I nibbled a tiny bite off the end of the slice.

I dropped the zlice onto the little plate they had given me and clutched at my throat miming choking.

“Very funny,” Kyle said when he had stopped laughing. “But it’s good right?”

“Yeah it’s awesome,” I said picking up my slice again. Kyle took the largest for himself.  

I noticed out the window as a group of jocks from school climbed out of various cars and made their way up to Diego’s. I surprised me how pack like they traveled.

The pack of guys passed us still moving as a mob.

“Hello? Earth to Annabelle?” Kyle called. I looked back at him. “Distracted much?”

“Ever notice that they move like a pack?” I asked ignoring him.

“Sure they do. Because by themselves they\re too stupid to know whose cool enough to talk to.” Kyle thought for a moment as he shoved about half a slice of pizza in his mouth. “Nah. They’re just too stupid in general.”