Life of Wishes ~ Chapter Seven

I didn’t talk to Kyle to next day. He ate lunch with the losers again. I know I should apologize, but I know my heart wouldn’t be in it unless I found out what was causing all the freak accidents.

I saw Kyle around school, but we mostly avoided each other. We didn’t talk, and we barely even looked at each other.

After school as I was waiting for the bus Darren- or maybe it was Todd, I don’t remember- came up and asked if I had broken up with Kyle. He asked in front of everyone. My face turned red and I said no. Then Darren- or Todd- asked why I wasn’t speaking to Kyle, I told him it wasn’t any of his business and made no difference whether he knew or not.

Alice came over that afternoon. After a while of being in the Room, a message appeared on the wall.

Talk to me.

I ignored it because I couldn’t wipe it away without Alice getting suspicious. But as soon as she left, I wiped the message clean off the wall and didn’t write anything in response.

The next morning as I was getting ready in the Room a new message appeared.

Annabelle, please. I’m not mad.

Again I chose to ignore it. As I left the Room, I wiped it away.

That day was the same as the day before. I ignored Kyle, he ate with the losers. Alice came over, the message, I really want to talk to you appeared but I chose to ignore it. As soon as possible I erased it.

Friday morning this appeared, Annabelle, don’t hate me, just hate what happened. Then in the evening the evening it read I miss you.

All of the other messages had been easy to ignore. They were all typical post-argument lines. Like Kyle had said he wasn’t mad, meaning that he probably was. And yes he wanted to talk to me, but he didn’t have enough guts to come up to me in person and talk. It was harder to turn someone down in person than it was over a written message. If he had just stepped through the door between our Rooms, I might have talked to him. Might.

But what really got me was the I miss you. I had only known Kyle a week. He couldn’t miss me that much. Could he? Did I mean that much to him? I decided no, if I did he would be in here trying to get me to forgive him. Or maybe he respected me enough to give me distance.

Was Kyle just saying that he missed me hoping I would break and talk to him? Was it just a lie, a peace offering? Did he not miss me at all but was predicting how long it would take before I went back to him?

I don’t know if I wanted to know the answer to any of those questions. Knowing the truth could mean something that I didn’t want it to. It could change things more than they already were.

I wanted to apologize to Kyle, I really did. But I knew if I did my heart wouldn’t be in it. I couldn’t completely apologize to him when I didn’t know what was causing the freak accidents lately.

There also hadn’t been an accident since Tuesday, when Kyle and I almost became pancakes. All week I had been hanging out with Mollie and Alice. Nathan was keeping Kyle company.

If Alice was the one causing all the problems, she would have done something else. Both Nathan and Kyle were out of the way. And Mollie showed up always showed up a couple minutes after Alice and I had been in the Room alone for a while.

Alice would have tried something by now if it was her. Wouldn’t she? Everything pointed to Kyle. But I didn’t want it to be him. Did I?

Was I only blaming Kyle because I had already invested too much time defending Alice to turn my back on it now? Did I really think Kyle had done all those things, or was I just saying it because I knew he would fight back instead of just taking it like Alice?