Life of Wishes ~ Chapter One

I actually started this story 3 years ago but I hated it, so I reread it and started to rewrite it completely changing it. Hope you like it :D

****

“Go to your room!” Mother screamed at me.

“Why?” I shot back. “What did I do this time?” My voice dripped with sarcasm.

“You make a point of unnecessarily slamming doors and you’re disobeying me.”

“I told you. I didn’t mean to slam the door. The wind from my window slammed it. I swear I don’t try to slam doors.  And I’m not ‘disobeying’, I’m defending myself. Isn’t that always what you told me to do?” I said, my voice sweeter than honey.

“You’re not ‘defending’ yourself.” You could hear the air quotes around her words. “You’re a brat. We thought you would grow out of this once you hit high school, but you act even more like a child than you did last year.” Mother grabbed me by the shirt and dragged me to my room. I knew resistance was futile so I didn’t try.

“You are to stay in here until dinner.” As she was closing the door she turned around again and said, “Be grateful you’re getting dinner Annabelle.” She punctuated the words by slamming the door behind her, the very thing I got in trouble for doing.

“Hypocrite,” I muttered. And what was with the ‘you are to’? What is this? The Middle Ages or something? Who even says that anymore?

I listened as Mother’s footsteps faded down the hall. From the sounds I heard I could tell Mother had re-joined Father in the study. If someone asked me how I knew they were in the study, I wouldn’t be able to tell them. If you spent as much time as I did training your ears to pick up the faintest clues of where They were you would be able to tell as well.

My parents were always They or Them to me. It was always Them against Me. Both of Them were professors at the university. They were both crazy smart and King and Queen of Nerdy.

They both wore thick glasses and dressed like it was still the eighties. Both of Them thought it was cool to carry around huge books that no one but them could understand, or a book they wrote.

My parents were comfortable surrounded my words, numbers or other academic people not as smart as them. But put either of Them in a grocery store and the flop like a fish out of water. As soon as they realize someone is smarted than them, which doesn’t happen often, they act like a scared child afraid of the Monster Under the Bed.

Naturally, when I was little, I was just like Them. I wore glasses that matched Mother’s, and carried my picture books around with me. From an early age they started to teach me everything.

When I entered kindergarten, I knew more than the grade ones. In grade one I already knew everything a grade two should know and et cetera.

I used to love to make my parents proud. But everything I did, didn’t seem to be enough for them. No matter what I get it would always be, ‘Oh you can do better than that’, or ‘Make sure you try harder next time’. It didn’t matter that I had perfect grades and was top of my class, I was always just a stupid child from my parents point of view.

By the time I was in grade 5, I was staging a full on rebellion. For Christmas I had convinced my aunt to give me contacts, so it was good bye to my nerd glasses. I donated all my bad clothing and used my allowance to buy clothes that other people my age were wearing. Doing good in school was a habit by then, but I started to make careless mistakes that would cost me a grade to piss my parents off.

I didn’t take the extra lessons from Them anymore and learned the things I was supposed to from school. I stopped carrying around books and only read fiction books about fantasy things that my parents despised.