Chapter 19: Lab Rats

Jane washed her face in the bathroom, trying to calm herself. The Enchantresses weren' t back and people were fearing for the worst. 

The humans knew about them, it wasn' t long before they discovered the packhouse.

She turned on the tap, no water came out.

"Oh come on." She grunted, pulling the brass knob harder. The facet broke off the sink, spraying Janes face with water, the other tap went off too.

"HELP!" Jane cried as the water went up to her knees.

All too soon, the water was up to her neck and Jane took a deep breath of air before she went under. 

A school of brightly coloured fish swam by and Jane realised she wasn' t in the packhouse anymore. She clamped her hands over her mouth, forcing herself not to breathe.

She saw Neptune, swimming up to her, his face furious.

"WHERE IS THE HEIR?!!" He shouted at her.

Jane jumped back and shrugged, trying to swim upwards.

"SHE IS NOT HERE, IF THE HEIR DOES NOT COME IN 24 HOURS, THE ENTIRE ISLAND OF HAWAII WILL BE 20 000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA!" 

Jane nodded, Neptune shoved her and she fell back against the bathroom door, dry, the water dissapeared and she was sitting.

She opened the door and ran down to the door, she tore through the woods, morphing as she went, a wolf she ran along the forest. She stopped at a hollow oak and turned back to human, she found a dress there and put it on, she had several clothes stashed in oaks all over the forest for this purpose.

She walked along the human border and found the vampires standing there, blending into the bush.

"Guys, where' s Pearl?" 

The leader nodded towards the human settlement." 

"But where... woah." 

Jane stared at the sight before her, a giant white tent was set up, covered in foil and plastic, yellow and black tape surrounding it, red keep out signs everywhere.

"Pearls in there? But how..." 

"The humans must' ve sent out a search party for mermaids and wolves. We cannot get your friend now, I' m sorry." And the vampires vanished, leaving a pearl lying on the ground. Jane picked it up and pocketed it.

"I hate vampires." She hissed.

She turned, checking for humans and then slowly entered the taped off zone.

Machines wirred and humans in white coats frantically pushed buttons and moved dials, pouring all manner of medicines and herb drinks into the girls mouth as she battled to breathe.

Every few seconds her heart would stop but the life support would back her up and it would beat again. Pearl screamed as they injected her with drugs meant to keep her alive, but one by one, each was killing her slowly and painfully in its own way.

Jane listened to her suffering from outside, her wolf senses heightened, letting her listen to every word the humans said.

Jane closed her eyes, being a werewolf, she was as strong as about ten full grown humans. It sounded like there were about five in the room. Would there be security? Hopefully not.

Jane managed to claw out some of the nails holding the tent to the ground and slipped into the room.

If you were standing outside you would' ve heard screams and equipment hitting the ground.

Inside, people lay about the ground with broken noses and fractured wrists, grunting and moaning.

"Come on." Jane whispered to Pearl, slowly picking her up.

"Stanley, they've got Stanley... and others... my friends, dying, help them." 

"Oh my god, Pearl, there must be something here that can help you." Jane put Pearl down and searched the room for a painkiller.

"No." Pearl wheezed, grabbing a sharp knife off a table and holding it at her wrist.

"PEARL! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Jane screeched, she lunged for the knife but Pearl back away.

"Rescue Stanley and the others of I'll kill myself. I know what Neptune wants, I'm the one who threw the pearl into the ocean, damnit!"

"If you don't go to Neptune he'll crush our entire island."

"I just want to die, Jane, but if you rescue the others, I swear I' ll stay alive long enough to make it to Neptune."

Jane nodded then tore through the tent, Pearl heard her taking on the humans, the sounds of other wolves joining her.

Pearl stared at the silver blade, how it shined, how pure it looked against her scarred flesh.

Just a push. Just a slice and your suffering will be over... A voice in her head urged.

She threw the knife onto the floor.

"A promise is a promise." Pearl said, then collapsed on the bed, struggling to breathe.

Jane emerged later. "Stanley and the others are heading for the packhouse, we have to get you to the beach." She took hold of Pearl then started to run for the sea.

Pearl coughed blood over Janes shoulder. "Hang in there, Pearl, hang in there." 

When she got to the beach, three mermen were waiting on the shore, Pearl was unconsious, her breathing uneven.

"Thankyou." One of the mermen said.

"Anytime." Jane smiled.

They started to leave, carrying Pearl away.

"What must I do now?" Jane asked.

"Pray." He said. "Just pray." 

And Jane did just that, praying for Pearl and for forgivness for everything her pack had done.

Neptune laid Pearl down on a mat and tipped the vial over her lips. 

"Drink." He ordered.

"Make me." Pearl groaned.

Pearl refused to swallow the medicine that Neptune offered her, the healers all tried. Pearl screamed at them to let her die in peace.

"I cannot make you live, Pearl, but I'm asking you to, this kingdom needs a new leader." 

"There is nothing left for me to lead, find someone brave and strong, someone without a deathwish." 

"Please Pearl, drink the potion." 

"Over my dead body." Pearl spat, but that was lost in the ocean. Pearl's chest rose, then fell.

Neptune sighed and left.

"A new ruler will be chosen next full moon." He declared. Then he swam up to the beach where Jane was waiting.

"Is she.." Jane began.

Neptune shook his head." For your efforts." He said, then held out a pearl necklace. "It was Pearls, you nearly saved her life, you would' ve if she wasn' t so stubborn." 

Then Neptune swam away, leaving Jane, tears falling down her cheeks.