Prologue

Prologue

The story starts as a musky, salty ocean breeze brushes over the land, clearing the minds of thinkers. The water flows in swift bellows, breathing onto the beach sand.

Her tongue is cold as it licks the rocks and shells; it hides many secrets, but tells no lies.

It is as free as the wind, yet as enslaved as the ever-rising sun.

"This is getting Risky, Em." Stan said to the dark brunette on his left. 

"I know it is, but they don't even know we exist." She says, her voice is soft and silky as she speaks.

"But we do, three humans died today. Merely because of them, showing themselves. Almost giving us away."

"They didn't have to, Stan." Em said. "If only you had stopped and listened."

He sighs heavily. "The enchanters have moved North to Alaska, we don't have the luxury of their mind erasing potions. Something has to be done." 

"But what, Stanley? What? You are the alpha! You have control over these lands!"

"Not all of these lands." He says softly, looking down at the water below.

"What are you going to do, brother? What?"

"Make them go."

"Go where?! Where, brother? Listen to me, listen."

He looks at her. The wind brushed her hair out of her eyes and they stared straight at him, he shivered, feeling as if she was looking and seeing past him, right through him.

The moon against her young face gave her a new sort of wisdom Stanley could not understand.

"I may not be the alpha or the Luna but I am your family and I think you should listen to the elders for once, you are sixteen, Stanley. Between dad dying, and the mermaids and all the pressure of being alpha you are breaking."

Stanley looked at her sorrowfully. She had watched her father die; a few months ago she had been a weak teenager with no voice. Now she knew what could happen to grown men, now she knew the pain that others went through, she had witnessed her father being stabbed, beaten and head ripped off by rogues. 

"No more deaths, Stan. No more."

"I'll make them leave. For good."

Em looked at him. Stan saw that her eyes were watery.

"Don't make the wrong choice Stan, not again."

And she shifted into her brown wolf and ran back to town, leaving Stanley standing on the cliff overlooking the ocean wondering what to do.