Chapter 18: Pearls and Potions

Jane sat on the steps of the packhouse, holding the pearl in her hand, rubbing her fingers along the smooth surface. Pearls face stayed on it, shining in the night.

"The heir." She said. "Pearls the heir to what?" 

She knew who the message was from, and felt guilty as soon as she saw his face. Neptune, the seas immortal. In Wolf School, she learnt that wolves must stay as far as they can from the seas nation and Neptune. Her packs alpha had dragged them right into it.

There were rumours around the pack that Pearl had crawled into the forest to die, infected with the Red Water Sea Flu and without the will to live. 

She wanted to go to Peter, the Beta, but he would make her stay in the packhouse until the Enchantresses got back from Texas. Pearl would be dead by then and no doubt, Neptune would be furious.

"Emily would go after Pearl." Jane sighed into her lap. But Emily was dead. She could go to the vampires, but where were they?

"They did say something about debt." Jane thought. She got up and ran into the woods.

"HEY LEECHES!" She yelled into the night. "BLOODSUCKERS! I NEED YOU TO DO SOMETHING FOR ME!" 

Nothing. She sighed.

"VAMPIRES! HEY, VAMPS! YOU THERE?" 

In a cloud of dust, eight vampires appeared out of nowhere.

"Woah, that was fast." Jane gasped.

"What is it?" The front one asked.

"You said something about debt to the mermaids, right?"

"Eternal debt." He corrected her with a sneer.

"Yeah, debt, well if you do this for Neptune, your debt will be cleared and you can go home." 

"I'm listening."

"I need the person you see in this pearl," she held up the small white ball, "to get to Neptune as soon as possible." 

The vampires took the pearl from her and examined it.

"Alright, but you do realize that if we do this, we have no more reason being here and we won' t be at war with the wolves anymore." 

Jane smiled."Win-win situation I guess." She said.

"Yes,it appears so and if we do this then will we be allies?"

"Wait, allies?" Jane asked.

The vampire smiled. "Yes, wolves would be useful in the upcoming goblin wars, as allies we could benefit each other." 

"Deal." Jane said.

"The girl will be at Neptunes side by morning."He said, then disapeared.

Jane sighed then headed back to the packhouse.

The mermaid kingdom cleared, the water blue again, the bodies removed and given to the sea spirits. But, the queen was dead.

Killed by the flu.

A full moon had come that night, and young mermaids waited eagerly for the shining pearl that would bring them their new queen or king. But no pearls shined.

Neptune had visited the land and found the heir to the mermaid throne, but she wasn' t in the sea, she was on the land.

Neptune was banished from land in the eighteenth centuary but knew that he could crush the island of hawaii in a tsunami, clearing all witnesses and wolves, but the heir was there. 

He summoned the best mermaid healers from all over the world, a young healer named Puopoi could cure mermaids an inch from death with a silver vial. 

The silver vial stayed inside a safe in the mermaid palace.

This potion was the only one that could save Pearl, the new mermaid queen.

And in a cave on the beach, lying in a pool of blood lay Pearl, breathing her last few breaths.

Eight shadowy figures appeared at the mouth of the cave.