Chapter six- Red Water Sea Flu

Paul moved along the ocean’s edge, watching the seagulls and pigeons as they flew past.

Then he stopped.

"Oh my god."

For miles, from that point on, the water was red.

Red.

Like blood,

He turned and started running into the forest, but it was not the blood that made him run.

It was the bodies of Merfolk lying on the surface of the water that made him run.

The bodies were all dead.

They floated with the rush of the tide, coming in and out, their eyes staring into the nothingness of death…

"Stanley! Stanley! Alpha!" He ran into the mansion, up the stairs and into the alphas study.

"Alpha, the water, the mermaids, they're dying."

Stanley looked up. He smiled. "They're dying?"

"Yeah, there's bodies, the water's red, the humans...."

"Forget about the humans, this is great!" Stanley stood up. "It must be that Sea Flu, its killing them and they won't need to leave after all. We can just sit back and let nature do its thing!"

"What the hell Stanley?" Paul asked, shaking his head. "You're a monster, they're innocent! We can't just let them die!"

"They killed one of our pack!" Stanley said.

"And so what, we let hundred, maybe thousands of them die?"

"YOU WILL LEAVE THIS TRIBE!" Stanley yelled, raising his voice. His eyes turned velvet. "AND IF YOU DARE, DARE SAY ANOTHER WORD AGAINST ME I WILL RIP YOU LIMB BY LIMB AND TOSS YOU INTO THE PIT WHERE YOU BELONG!" 

He spat at him.

Paul stood. Chest raised, eyes on the window, taking slow, steady breaths.

"You may rule this tribe, but you don't rule the water." He turned. "I'm done here." 

Emily stood at the door, tears were running down her cheeks. Paul pushed past her.

"What do you want Emily?" Stanley asked.

Emily shook her head. "He's right. You are a monster." Then she left.

Stanley said nothing. He just stood there.

A few Hours Later.

The members of the tribe stood outside the field waiting for Stanley, Emily was in the crowd.

Stanley appeared on the steps of the mansion.

"I am here for a dismissal from the tribe, and believe me these people have good reason to leave." He took a breath. "Paul Yasley, you are dismissed from this tribe."

In the crowd, Paul nodded, turned and ran into the forest.

In the distance a wolf howled.

"And... Emily, my sister is banished."

"What?" Emily’s voice rang out through the crowd. "No! No, brother, no!" 

"Leave now Emily, from now on, on this land you are a rogue and my tribe has the right to harm and kill you." 

Emily burst into tears and ran away into the forest.

Stanley cleared his throat.

"Mermaids are a threat to our lives, and I swear to protect this tribe no matter what the cost. My sister and Paul chose against this and wanted our lives put at risk, the children of this tribe will not be touched."

The crowed murmured in agreement.

 "The hostage mermaid in our hands will be slaughtered as a demonstration, then we will take more lives until they leave us in peace, we cannot stand for this! This is our land! Our tribe as it has been from the dawn of creation, let them die! Then they go!"

The crowd cheered.

"I am not a ruthless ruler, but I will protect the people of this tribe, no matter what the cost. Even if it means killing each and every mermaid myself. Then so be it." 

From her window in the mansion, Pearl looked upon the crowd.

She had no knowledge of the sea flu.

The Enchantress stood behind her. "Are you ready?" She asked. Her voice was smooth as silk.

"Yes." Emily said. "I am."

The Enchantress took out a vile of a clear liquid. Without warning she threw the contents on Pearl.

Pearl fell, feeling lighter. The Enchantress smiled.

"You are no longer Merfolk, human, live from now on in peace, I shall inform the Alpha."

The the Enchantress left Pearl sleeping on the ground.

A human.

In the distance of the woods, Hector Polimese stood on the porch of his house.

His eyes were red. His hair sleek and black.

His mouth curved in a smile.

Fangs showing. Curled back into neat steady rows, ready to sink into the flesh of anyone who stood in his way.

Fangs.

The vampires were ready to attack.