Chapter 23: Cusp

“So where are we going this time? Or is it a secret yet again?” Tania asked.

            “Oh, it’s a secret,” Alex replied, grinning from ear to ear as he and Tania walked hand in hand down the street.

            Tania laughed. “Are you ever going to tell me where we’re going before we get there?”
            “Maybe. But only if you’re good.”

            “That’s not fair.”

            “Life isn’t fair.”

            Shaking her head at him, Tania lightly shoved Alex. “You’re awfully mean.”

            Laughing, Alex caught her around the waist and pulled her into a kiss. “And you’re awfully pretty,” He told her as he pulled away.

            Embarrassed, as Alex knew she would be, Tania made a face. “Compliments will get you nowhere.”

            Grinning again, the vampire recaptured her hand. “But it’s true,” he insisted, eyes glowing with a soft light.

            Tania looked away. “We are still going to the party tonight right?”

            Alex chuckled at her transparent attempt to change the subject. “Of course. There’s no way we’d miss a St. Paddy’s Day party. It’s practically against the school rules.”

            Tania smiled. “Just checking. I never know with you.”

            Ruffling her hair to make her squawk, Alex tugged her hand, getting her to hurry up. “We’re almost there.”

            Quickly finger-combing her hair with one hand as she trotted after the vampire, Tania got an idea of where they were heading when she heard the telltale loud buzzing of a large crowd. Rounding one final corner, it seemed, to Tania, like they’d entered a world of green. Everywhere there were green banners, streamers, orange, white and green flags and shamrocks adorning everything. A multitude of booths, tables, tents and stalls in varying shades of green lined each side of the street that had been closed off for the fair. Already there was quite a crowd, laughing, talking, arguing and in general, enjoying themselves.  “It’s the St. Patrick’s Day Festival!” Tania cried unnecessarily.

            Laughing, Alex pulled her along. “Come on, let’s go exploring!”

            Grinning, Tania ran up so that she was beside him. “So where to first?”

            “Wherever you want.”

            “Well then…” She said, looking around at all the different stalls and booths. A little table draped in a plain green cloth caught her attention. “Let’s get out faces painted!”

            “You really are too silly,” Alex told her, smiling anyway as he followed her lead over to where the girl, who had to be a few years younger than them, sat, a rainbow of paints arranged in front of her.

            Tania plopped down into the chair in front of the table, saying “Can I get a shamrock on my cheek?”

            “Of-of course,” The girl stammered, a little surprised to have someone of Tania’s age requesting her services. At least that’s what Tania thought right up until she caught sight of Alex, smiling at the girl in his usual manner. Which is to say, he radiated charm the way the sun radiates light.