Chapter 13: Visitors

“Thanks Mom, Dad,” Tania said, as she set her new purple sweater to the side.

            “You’re welcome. Nick, sweetie, it’s your turn,” Mrs. Davies answered. Following their yearly tradition, Nicholas dug through the gifts heaped under the tree until he found something for everyone. He and Tania took it in turns to play Santa.

            “Oooh. I thought you said you didn’t have a boyfriend,” Nick crowed.

            “I don’t.”

            “Then who’s this Alex and why’s there a present for you from him?”

            Tania sighed. “Alexander’s just a friend. I got presents from my other friends too. He just insisted I not open my present until Christmas. The only reason he opened the one I got him was that it was a kitten and Eclipse would have died had he waited that long.”

            “You’re too easy,” her brother replied, grinning, tossing her the beautifully wrapped red and gold box, before returning to his spot beside his stocking.

            Making a face at him, Tania was secretly glad he’d picked this gift. Her curiosity had been eating at her ever since Alex had handed it to her. Unwrapping the present carefully, she soon found herself holding a black velvet box and Tania pinked. This was the kind of box jewellery came in. And her expectations didn’t go unmet, because when she opened the box she found a matching set of earrings and necklace. The pendant on the gold chain of the necklace matched the jewels that hung down on the two short gold chains that made up the earrings. In the shape of a droplet, rubies winked out at her among the gold. Tania couldn’t help herself, she gasped. This jewellery was obviously expensive. It was only during her second look that Tania picked up Alex’s joke. Blood. It looks like little drops of blood. Typical Alexander, she thought, amused.

            “Holy crap! You’re sure you’re not dating him cause that looks like the kind of thing a guy would get his girlfriend for Christmas,” Nick said, leaning over her shoulder and staring at her present.

            “I think I’d know if we were dating. This is just the kind of thing Alexander does. He enjoys being over the top and flashy.”

            “But seriously Tania, those had to have been expensive.”

            Now their parents entered the conversation. “What is it?” Their greying father wanted to know.

            Sighing, Tania passed the little box around, knowing her parents were going to make a big deal of it. And they did. “Who is this boy?” Mr. Davies asked.

            “Alexander Donovan. He’s a friend of mine.”

            “These look like real rubies, sweetheart,” Tania’s mother said, worriedly.

            “According to Ilana this is the kind of thing Alexander gets everyone.”

            “But these are probably worth several hundred dollars,” Mrs. Davies informed her daughter.

            “Ilana told me that last year Alexander got Theron, his roommate, a car.”

            Nick let out an impressed whistle. “He must be pretty rich then.”

            “Apparently he is. Alexander keeps it pretty quiet though. Except for Christmas,” Tania replied, shrugging.

            “Who’re his parents?” Tania’s father queried.