Chapter 10: Low

Tania found herself faced with an unfortunately familiar dilemma. She had been shivering in front of the Fine Arts Building for well over a half-hour and there was still no sign of Alex or Bredon. Looking down at her watch she saw it was almost a quarter to eleven. Damn it! Where are they? She wondered, looking about as the wind blasted her with its icy breath. The temperature had plunged overnight and the snow had frozen into a thick crust over powdery granules.

            Should I wait or should I head back? I know last time was bad but it’s really cold! As long as I don’t go off with any strangers I should be safe. I think. Gah! Where are those two? I swear if they forgot…Alright I’ll wait until eleven. If they’re not here by then then I guess they’re not coming, Tania finally decided. Eleven o’clock came and eleven o’clock went and finally at eleven thirty Tania gave up and began hurrying back to her residence, shivering and contemplating the bodily harm she would inflict on both Alex and Bredon for forgetting her.

            Bloody cold, she thought angrily kicking at the snow in her path. Bloody dark, bloody long path, bloody forgetful vampires. They are so dead when I get a hold of them.  Tania paused for a moment. Wait, how do you kill a vampire? I’ll have to ask Ilana, then I’ll get them.

            Tania passed the place where a snow angel lay, still half-visible, but the falling snow was slowly hiding it from view. Tania looked behind her to see if her tracks were still visible and then froze. Standing behind her was a pale-faced man dressed all in black. Tania’s eyes widened and she backed up a step, only to whip around to face behind when she heard the sound of a branch snapping. There was another man there and one in the forest to each side, all dressed identically in pure black. She was surrounded. Tania ripped open her purse, yanking out her pepper spray and turning to face the man who blocked the path to her residence. “Move,” She said, voice shaking only slightly.

            The man snorted, glancing at each of his companions before nodding once. Tania tried to run forward but was grabbed from behind, she kicked backwards at his legs but he dodged the blow. She switched targets and tried to hit one of the men in front of her but he caught her leg with ease and only now did Tania notice the fangs not one of the four tried to hide.

            Inhaling deeply, Tania prepared to scream the name of the one person she knew could help her out of this but a cloth-covered hand was clamped over her mouth. Unable to scream aloud, Tania’s mind shrieked the name anyway. Alexander! She called, praying that he’d somehow be able to hear her as she continued to struggle in her captors’ grips. As she breathed in again, Tania finally noticed the strange smell on the cloth. Fighting to hold her breath, the darkness reached up and claimed her anyway. Tania’s last thought before succumbing to unconsciousness was I hope Alexander can find me with the snow.

            Alex frowned when he caught sight of their table at breakfast. “Where’s Tania?” He asked as he sat down.

            Chloe shrugged. “We don’t know. I hope she’s not sick cause then she’ll miss our girls’ day.”

            Turning his attention to Bredon, Alex asked. “Did she seem sick to you last night?”

            Bredon stared at him. “Why are you asking me? Didn’t you go pick her up?”

            “No I was exhausted and accidentally fell asleep. I thought you went to pick her up.”

            “I had an application due today and…oh fuck!”

            Alex was already halfway across the cafeteria when Bredon caught up, Theron and the others not far behind, leaving Tania’s friends to stare at one another before getting up to follow as well.