Chapter 9: Quiet

“So where are we going?” Tania asked Bredon as she got into his car.

            “It’s a surprise,” He replied before shutting the door after her.

            “You’re going to have to tell me eventually,” She said once Bredon opened his door.

            “Actually I don’t. You’ll see it before I tell you.”

            “Now I don’t know whether to be excited or nervous.”

            “Well I hope you’re not nervous. Unless of course you’re afraid I’m going to eat you. But I assure you my intentions are honourable. I’d tell you if I was going to do that.”

            Tania laughed. “I don’t what it is with boys and telling me and Ilana you’re going to eat us. Theron and Alexander say the same thing all the time. Of course in Theron’s case he’s going for the sexual innuendo.”

            Bredon laughed as well. “Don’t worry about it. The council has a strict rule about biting people who don’t want you too. The only worse punishment is for turning someone against their will.”

            “Really? Those must be the only two rules Alexander hasn’t broken.”

            The black-haired vampire looked surprised. “How’d you know that?”

            “Because he told me he’s never bitten anyone so there’s no way he could have turned anyone and obviously he hasn’t bitten anyone who’s unwilling.”

            “Are you serious? He’s never bitten anyone?”

            Tania frowned. “That’s what he told me. Why?”

            “Well up until Blood Banks were established the only way to get blood was to bite people. I’m curious as to how he managed before that. I know he’s still upset with Kale and so won’t turn anyone but I didn’t think he’d gone so far as to refuse to bite anyone,” Bredon explained.

            “Kale’s the council leader right?”

            “Uh…yeah.”

            “Why does Alexander hate him? You promised to tell me later and it’s later. A week later in fact.”

            “I…well I’d like to but if Alex finds out I told you he’ll take me out and beat me.”

            “First off, I thought you wanted to duel Alexander, secondly, I’m not going to tell him and thirdly, since he can’t charm me he’s not going to find out that way.”

            “He can’t charm you? Really?” Bredon asked.

            “Nope,” Tania replied smugly. It was a source of great comfort to her that Alex couldn’t charm her into doing things she didn’t particularly want to do.

            “Well that explains a bit.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Alex almost always befriends people he can’t charm. I think it’s so he still has some way to manipulate them but then again when it comes to Alex I almost always think the worst of him. And since generally he avoids places with large communities of non-humans, because that means an increase in the presence of the council, there are often very few people who aren’t used to charismatic vampires.”