Chapter 21: Upset

“Hey there’s a party in my rez tonight, what do you say we go check it out?” Jill suggested during breakfast.

            “I can’t. I already have plans,” Tania replied, salting her hash browns.

            “Really? What’re you doing?” Chloe wanted to know.

            “Uh…” Tania scrambled for an excuse. She obviously couldn’t tell her friends the truth that she was helping set up and host a massive party for non-human and psychic teenagers.

            “We’re going on a date,” Alex cut in smoothly. Tania flashed him a grateful look.

            “Well what about the rest of you?” Jill asked, turning to the remaining five.

            Ilana shook her head. “Environmental Club meeting until late tonight.”

            “I have an essay due,” Theron replied.

            “I just got several last minute submissions for the paper,” Kayne complained.

            “Midterm on Monday,” Aiden answered.

            “I’m working,” Bredon finished.

            “Well damn,” Jill pouted.

            “Don’t mind us, you girls should go,” Tania told them.

            “But that’s not as much fun,” The auburn-haired girl complained.

            “Well St. Patrick’s day isn’t far off and you know there’ll be several massive parties then.”

            “I guess so. I just wanted to get drunk with everyone tonight.”

            Tania chuckled. “You’ll have plenty of opportunities for that.”

            “This is ridiculous,” Sarah complained.

            “You agreed they were hiding something too,” Chloe shot back over her shoulder as the four girls ghosted along the shadowed street towards Alex and Theron’s apartment.

            “Yeah but I didn’t think you’d want to follow them.”

            “They’ve been hiding something for weeks,” Madison remarked, skirting around the circle of light cast by yet another streetlamp.

            “Really?” Jill asked.

            The tawny haired girl nodded before stopping. “We’re here,” she said, indicating the darkened house whose pale walls glowed faintly in the half-light cast by the crescent moon.

            “The lights are off. I told you this was a waste of time,” Sarah grumbled.

            “I don’t understand. I was sure they’d be here!” Chloe cried, annoyed.

            Laughter from behind them caused the four girls to whip around. Standing beside the house was a slight young man with dark hair whose face was split by a wide grin. “If you’re looking for the party, the exit point’s up ahead. Just follow me.”

            “Thank you,” Madison replied, as the others just stared dumbly at him.

            “No problem. It’s my job. I’m here just in case someone is stupid enough to try and break into Donovan’s place. Not that anyone would really do except on a dare, but still it’s pretty stupid to have someone get killed or hurt. So I’m supposed to stop them. That and to help people who get lost,” He told them with a wink, walking across the dark backyard and into the even blacker forest.