Chapter 21: Upset

Start from the beginning

            “Has the party been going on long?” Chloe finally managed to articulate.

            “For a good hour now. From the estimates we were given about half the people they expect have shown up, so somewhere around a thousand now.”

            “Are you serious?” Jill asked, wide-eyed. That was about half their entire university’s population.

            The man laughed. “I know. It’s almost impossible to get this many of us together. Then again Donovan was the one organizing it so it’s not so surprising. Alright then, just let me get Daphne to open the path and you’ll be set,” He said, stopping in front of a large maple tree. Reaching out he rapped once on the trunk of the tree and a moment later a glowing green circle had appeared. “Alright just head straight through there. Someone on the other side’ll explain the rules to you. Have fun. I’ll be over once my shift’s over so I’ll see you around.”

            Without another word he turned around and made his way back through the forest, leaving the girls to exchange a look and then stare at the circle. Hesitantly, Jill put a finger out and touched it. When nothing happened she shrugged. Lifting her chin in acceptance to this challenge, Chloe walked through first, followed by Jill, and then Madison while Sarah brought up the rear. Once all four were through, the glowing circle disappeared, and again they looked around, unsure of what to do next.

            “First time travelling the tree route?” A light female voice asked sympathetically.

            They jumped. “Yes,” Chloe replied.

            The brunette smiled at them. “Don’t worry about it. It was the first time for most of the people here too. Oh I’m Natalie by the way. So I’ll give you the run down on the rules then. First off feel free to help yourself to the food and drink and blankets, and don’t worry no one’s going to tell your parents if you help yourself to the booze. Quite frankly no one cares. If you’re interested in the university two of the profs are here, just go talk to them. They’re on the far side of the elementals. Oh and I don’t think I really need to tell you lot but there’s a strict no fighting rule. You break it and you’ll get broken. If you need some kind of help or have a question that’s not a general inquiry then I suggest you go see the Queen. She’s great. Last time she actually got Donovan to bite her just to answer some girl’s question. It’s nuts but she’s a nice girl. Just we have a kind of unwritten rule that if she’s talking to someone else you leave her be unless it’s some kind of emergency. It’s not fair for us to keep bugging her all night. Oh and we ask people to try to keep themselves low-key once they leave for obvious reasons.”

            “Where is the Queen?” Jill asked, after exchanging a look with the other three.

            “About halfway down on this side. She’s beside Donovan and his group and her pack’s just below her. If you can’t talk to her then talk to them. They’re pretty good about things even if they are loud.”

            “Thanks,” Madison replied.

            “Don’t mention it. It’s my job. Have fun.”

            The four of them waved to the girl before making their way down the hill towards the girl called the Queen.

            Tania had just said goodbye to the air elemental by the name of Ian when she heard a sound that made her blood run cold.

            “Oh my god! Is that you Tania?” Sarah’s voice called.